An agency paid off for someone unidentifiable - what to do?!
Thread poster: VIBOL KEO

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
May 28, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I hope you are doing well and a great and green day as usual...

Well, I received a payment from an identifiable agency last weekend. I was very happy to finding incoming payment. Unfortunately, it is made for someone unidentifiable. Please note that it is made via Moneybookers.

I am frankly telling you that I have not made any appropriate accounting system available for my current business due to a number of issue that I would like to say that it has been in a developing status. When it comes to saying about "someone unidentifiable" it means that I had searched all my email accounts to find any relevant info regarding someone the identifiable agency has paid for so we would be able to clear such an account.

Considering the agency might get confused anyway for such a payment I have emailed them twice regarding someone unidentifiable, but heard nothing. Per my first email to that agency I asked for the detail of someone unidentifiable or a detail reference of the payee and the second one I requested for any project reference relative to this progress payment.

Hearing nothing from the payee that is why I would like to ask you all what I should do to sort out such an issue... I think this should be considered as a security alter for our translator communities unless I have been confirmed about the relative reference regarding such a payment...

Your kind suggestions would be much appreciated... and I look forward to hearing from you, if any... Great and Green Day...!

Kind regards,

[Edited at 2009-05-28 13:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-05-28 13:41 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Moneybookers and identifying May 28, 2009

VIBOL KEO wrote:
Well, I received a payment from an identifiable agency last weekend. I was very happy to finding incoming payment. Unfortunately, it is made for someone unidentifiable. Please note that it is made via Moneybookers.

It is my understanding that a Moneybookers account can be in one person's name only. Therefore, if your Moneybookers account had received money, and you know that the money was not transferred by accident, then the money is yours, if it is your Moneybookers account.

When it comes to saying about "someone unidentifiable" it means that I had searched all my email accounts to find any relevant info regarding someone the identifiable agency has paid for so we would be able to clear such an account.

I have no final answer for you, but in my opinion, if you were expecting payment of X amount, and roughly X amount was paid into your Moneybookers account, you can be reasonably certain that the payment was made by the people you were expecting it from.

Per my first email to that agency I asked for the detail of someone unidentifiable or a detail reference of the payee and the second one I requested for any project reference relative to this progress payment.

Yes, it is unfortunately so that some clients do not provide reference numbers when making a transfer, and the only way you can determine which payment is from which client is to look at the amounts, and to keep record of all payments expected and received so that you can figure out which is which by a process of elimination.

I think this should be considered as a security alter for our translator communities unless I have been confirmed about the relative reference regarding such a payment...

In my opinion, you should only be worried if you receive more payments than you were expecting.

[Edited at 2009-05-28 16:43 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I am not exactly sure what you are saying, but aren't you being "phished"? May 28, 2009

I am sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what you are saying:
Have you received an email that appears to be from Moneybookers telling you about a payment you received, but you have no idea who sent the money?

If that is the case, are you sure the email is genuine?
It is possible that the email you got is fake and all they want you is to try logging onto the fake Moneybookers site (a site that they set up, looks like the real Moneybookers site, but all it does it captures your login and password), so they could get a hold of your account info and use it any way they wish?

Katalin

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
German to English
Probably a scam May 28, 2009

I'm with Katalin. I receive things like this all the time and I don't have a Moneybookers or Paypal account. Occasionally I also receive notification that a refund was credited to my credit card.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't see the problem May 28, 2009

If you were expecting a certain payment from an Agency, and you received exactly that payment from that agency, it does not matter who in the agency paid you. I do work for a lot of translation agencies and their project managers ask me to translate many files. After I send my invoice I receive the payment, but that payment is not signed by any of the project managers. In fact, I really don't know who has been in charge of the payment task.
You did a job, you received the money. That's all.
Unless, you were never asked to do a translation job and you are being paid for that. That would be a mistake.

Have you checked your moneybookers account? Is the money there? Do you recognize the Agency name? Have you done a translation job for that amount? If all the answers are yes, you should not worry.

Nevertheless, if you've received an email telling you that you have received a payment, and that payment is not in your moneybookers account, and you've never been requeested to do any related job, that might be a scam. And beware if they say that there is a mistake that, and you have to send them their money back.

Kind regards

Clarisa

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When accessing your Moneybookers account May 29, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
Nevertheless, if you've received an email telling you that you have received a payment, and that payment is not in your moneybookers account, and you've never been requeested to do any related job, that might be a scam.

Yes. And to add something which everybody knows, but is worth repeating: When you receive an e-mail from Moneybookers, do not click a link in that e-mail. Instead, open your web browser and type the Moneybookers address in manually. This way, you can be sure that you are not being tracked or scammed into visiting a fake Moneybookers lookalike site.

When I first replied I didn't realise that you may have been talking about an e-mail. It sounded to me like you had truly received money in your Moneybookers account.

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
TOPIC STARTER
... Okay now! May 29, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thanks for all of your comments that, in short, I do appreciate to have learned more...

Now it is Ok... I have found the clue regarding its routine our Skype conversation's. It is a progress payment of a client of mine. He only had fund in his account with PayPal and I can only receive payments via Moneybookers considering due payments and online options. Plus, he was very busy not only with daily business but also with his wife delivering a first baby of which it might make him felt emotional. I was also very busy at doing a big job... This is why our communications were not in details via Skype chat and it didn't occur to me about this regarding what he had asked many friends of his.

So, it is alright now since my client has clarified that the said unidentifiable is his friend whom he had asked for help that a progress payment was made through an identifiable agency. The only thing to do now is to update my invoice for any further progress payment(s) so we would be able to keep it on track as well as justification...

Thanks once again and have a Great and Green Day...!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An agency paid off for someone unidentifiable - what to do?!

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search