English Sentence for not applicating VAT
Thread poster: -stephan-

-stephan-
Germany
Local time: 08:18
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 18, 2009

I'm working as a freelance translator in Italy, and I'm doing for the first time a translation for an agency in Hungary. Could someone tell me the sentence and the legal paragraphe I have to refer to, in order to not applicate VAT as it is a service within the EU?

Frederic Lievre
Ireland
Local time: 07:18
English to French
+ ...
Service Jun 18, 2009

They should know that within the EU the services are VAT free.
If you really need to know the law article you should refer to eu.org. Everything is there.

-stephan-
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invoice Jun 18, 2009

I think I wasn't quite clear in my question, I was talking about the phrase one has to put in the invoice, how do you say in English? Is there a standard phrase to put in the invoice?

Jan Kolesar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
VAT Jun 18, 2009

You do not need any phrases to not applicate VAT. But your invoice should contain your own VAT number. If you do not own it, then you have charge them the sum + VAT.

Hellmut Kohlsdorf  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
A fairy tale about VAT Jun 18, 2009

Dear Jan this is not completely correct to my personal believe. To get a VAT ID you have to have in Germany revenue above a certain threshold. As Stephan is just starting his activities he will not have yet fulfilled the prerequisites to get assigned a VAT ID. In Germany I was told that to comply with the law your invoice simply should not have a VAT included and not claim to have one included. By doing so he is in line with German law.
Should he charge a VAT without having a VAT ID he will be forced to transfer the VAT to the tax office. Only his customer will have a problem with his tax office, assuming he is living in a country that is a member of the EU. Without a VAT ID he cannot claim the VAT charged!
This is a narrative story of a freelancer and not a tax consulting action! So do not expect this to be true by any means and I cannot be made responsible for telling fairy tales! This is also the result of law requisites that do not allow giving tax consultation without having the authorization to do so! I do not have any authority!

-stephan-
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Jun 19, 2009

Thanks a lot to all of you.

I do have an (italian) VAT ID (as I'm living in Italy)... but in the end, if I understood right, I just not charge and not indicate VAT in my invoice, right?

I surely won't make anyone responsible here, I just asked as probably someone here has already been at the point I am right now.

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
A simple question deserves a simple answer... Jun 19, 2009

Not sure if this is the German law you're referring to, but a Google search turned this up:

German phrase (Die Leistung ist nach § 3a III, IV MWStG nicht steuerbar) in English (Pursuant to § 3a III, IV of the German VAT Law this service is not subject to VAT)

How does that feel?

Good luck
Catherine

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
English to Italian
+ ...
If you are resident in Italy Jun 19, 2009

post your request on the Italian forum. Your colleagues will tell you what they do in this case with their foreign clients.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Italian forum Jun 19, 2009

LuciaC wrote:

post your request on the Italian forum. Your colleagues will tell you what they do in this case with their foreign clients.

Lucia is right; ask in the Italian forum if you reside in Italy. In France, I have to add the client's EU VAT number (which should be checked according to Astrid's comment) and this line to my invoice:
VAT not applicable, Art. 259B of French tax code

However, a German client told me that they need the following sentence, in German, for their own tax authority:
Steuerschuldnerschaft des Leistungsempfängers nach § 13 b UStG Deutschland

So, I added both. I advise you to include the sentence your Italian colleagues will suggest, and ask the Hungarian client whether it is OK for them that way; if they need anything else, you update the invoice by adding what they need.

In my own experience it is not at all a fairy tale: this sentence is indeed required.

Kind regards,
Attila

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
IVA/VAT Jun 19, 2009

Hi Stephan,

take a look here:

http://www.aiti.org/esempi_fatture.html

I think this is what you might be looking for!

HTH,
G

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
VAT shifted Jun 19, 2009

I always include the line that the VAT is shifted to their VAT number which is I think what the Dutch law requires for this. I do not charge VAT to them but I do need to have a valid VAT number to be able to do this because I think technically they do need to report this to their tax authorities, but of course I do not check this. So it´s basically the same as not charging VAT, but legally a bit different. I don´t know if this is the same in other countries in the EU, but I assume it is.

-stephan-
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 23, 2009

Thanks again to all of you, I think solved the issue thanks to all your comments!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English Sentence for not applicating VAT

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search