Thread poster: Laura Valenzuela

Laura Valenzuela
Switzerland
Local time: 13:51
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know which is a good price for transcriptions? The file would be 30 minutes long.Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Mandeep Singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:21
Member (2009)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Count approximate word count of one minute recording+ your efforts Jun 25, 2009

Hi Laura...

I would like to share with you my personal method. Normally there are 100 words in an audio file in one minute.(normal conversation, you can also ask for sample of the job to get an idea of this).

Accordingly i charges translation charges for 100 words PLUS efforts (listening again and again the file depending on audio quality) required to listen and comprehend the information per minute.

The second part of the calculation primarily depends upon how you measure your hardwork (normally i keep it near the translation charges).

And subsequently you can calculate it for 30 minutes.

Have a good luck for approximation.

3ADE shadab
Local time: 18:21
Hindi to English
+ ...
Depend !! Jun 25, 2009

There are number of factors which require before giving transcriptions charges, this include voice quality,field etc. if voice quality is not good then you have to listen again and again which require more efforts then usual, So can charge accordingly.

Regards
Shadab

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Charge three to four hours Jun 25, 2009

Laura Valenzuela wrote:
Does anyone know which is a good price for transcriptions? The file would be 30 minutes long.

It'll take you three to four hours to transcribe 30 minutes of average quality sound.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
3-4 hours Jun 25, 2009

It'll take you three to four hours to transcribe 30 minutes of average quality sound.

Yes, agree.

I just finished a 35min recording today.
The transcription took me about 3.5 hours. Sound quality was quite good.

Laura Valenzuela
Switzerland
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
3-4 hours Jun 25, 2009

Thanks a lot for your comments
So, let's say that it takes me 3-4 hours
How much should I charge per hour?
20€?

Alessandra Martelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
20 sounds good to me, if... Jun 26, 2009

Hi Laura

I often work on transcriptions (3-4 per month) and I can tell you, like other collegues told you before, price heavily depends on a number of factors:

1. What kind of speech it is? There is a big difference between a conference speech and a conversation, as in a conversation you might have people with a very strong accent or some speech impediment and this will affect the time you spend on the project

2. If it is a conversation, how many people are involved in it? In a conference speech you will soon get used to the accent and meter and this will be a plus for you, as you will work faster. In a multiple conversation, on the other hand, you might find people talking at the very same time and it might be difficult or even impossible to recognize sentences

3. Is it a general speech or a technical speech? If it is a technical speech you might need to do a little research to understand technical words and be able to follow the conversation. Again, this will affect your speed (and your focus on the project as well).

Now, I usually deal with technical related transcriptions and I can tell you the above mentioned factors really affected the time amount on the project (it used to take me up to 12 hours to go through a 120 min. project with multiple speakers, now I can deal with it in about 8 hours).

20 EUR/hour sounds fine if it is a single speaker on a general speech, if it is a conversation and it is your first transcription, assume it will take you 4 hours and charge a little more (about 25 EUR/hour), transcriptions can be really tricky and hard to deal with.

Have a nice day, and good luck
Alessandra

[Edited at 2009-06-26 08:43 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Only you can answer that question Jun 26, 2009

Laura Valenzuela wrote:
How much should I charge per hour?
20€?

What is the average per-hour rate (regardless of the type of work) charged by your colleagues in the same language combination here on ProZ.com?

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Laura Valenzuela
Switzerland
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mohd, Samuel, Lutz, Alessandra Jun 26, 2009

Thak you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcriptions

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search