Thread poster: Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Member (2009)
German to English
Jun 26, 2009

I have just received a purchase order from an agency (in Germany) for some work. I am based in the UK but do not reach the VAT threshold for VAT. On the purchase order the agency has stated the amount for the work, and the VAT. However I can't/won't charge them VAT. Should I just submit my invoice for the actual amount excluding VAT and add a line saying that I'm not VAT registered?

Thanks

Louisa

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:29
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Likely NO VAT Jun 26, 2009

there are a few options:

1. This is intra-community delivery (you are both businesses - you are in the UK, they are in Germany) you should not charge VAY

2. they are not a business (or have not VAT regsitration for some reason) -> you should charge VAT if you are a company

3. You are not registered for VAT, they are - no VAT

At least that is the way it works in the Netherlands...

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:29
English to French
+ ...
invoice without VAT Jun 26, 2009

Louisa Fox wrote:

I have just received a purchase order from an agency (in Germany) for some work. I am based in the UK but do not reach the VAT threshold for VAT. On the purchase order the agency has stated the amount for the work, and the VAT. However I can't/won't charge them VAT. Should I just submit my invoice for the actual amount excluding VAT and add a line saying that I'm not VAT registered?

Basically yes, you charge the amount without VAT.
Ask your tax office for the exact formula. In France for instance there is a very specific line to quote with reference to the tax regulation number.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
French to English
Get it corrected Jun 26, 2009

Louisa Fox wrote:

Should I just submit my invoice for the actual amount excluding VAT and add a line saying that I'm not VAT registered?

I think it would be wisest to try to get them to re-issue the PO without VAT, in case it causes later confusion (totals not matching properly), rather than just wait until you invoice them, in case it delays payment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax on a purchase order

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »