Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Local time: 06:38
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2009

Hypothetically, what would be your Trados fees for a medical translation? (Just started working with trados, so trying to find out how to quote the price, so not the highest rates, cause not too familiar with the program, but not the lowest either:)

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Let me get this straight - Jun 27, 2009

You purchased some outrageously expensive software, you are new to it and you don't know yet how to handle it properly, you are about to take on a project that requires exceptional specialization - and you are asking us how to LOWER YOUR RATES??

Are you okay?

Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nicole Jun 27, 2009

Nicole,
yes, I am perfectly fine, thank you very much, meaning both physical and mental condition. I just have not been born with the knowledge of Trados, as I suppose you have been:) and while still continuing my medieval plain word, excel etc translations, I am also trying to use something modern. Therefore I am asking for an advice from someone more experienced. And no, I don`t have any undergoing project with Trados, which, I suppose, is what you meant when you asked if I was OK. And I
... See more
Nicole,
yes, I am perfectly fine, thank you very much, meaning both physical and mental condition. I just have not been born with the knowledge of Trados, as I suppose you have been:) and while still continuing my medieval plain word, excel etc translations, I am also trying to use something modern. Therefore I am asking for an advice from someone more experienced. And no, I don`t have any undergoing project with Trados, which, I suppose, is what you meant when you asked if I was OK. And I am not asking you to lower my rates, because I don`t have any for trados use. Now, I might be wrong, but, from my experience of being a doctor, it seems like people learn things from each other quite often. Hence my question.
Thank you, Elena
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I know. Jun 27, 2009

However - there is no such thing as a Trados rate.

I work with SDL, Trados, Lingobit Localizer and what not. If the client provides a copy of this software. Rebates are okay to a degree and ONLY if I can use my own TM. That is for websites that I have been attending to for years, for example. Nothing else.

Trados fee? Define, please!

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Most translation agencies require a discount Jun 27, 2009

Calculated on the basis of the amount of repetition and fuzzy matches.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Did you offer this discount? Jun 27, 2009

jyuan_us wrote:

You are the vendor.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
Use your standard rate Jun 27, 2009

I usually offer discounts on 100% matches and repetitions (between 10 and 30% of my standard rate depending on the customer and subject) and 85% to 99% matches (60% of my standard rate).

Trados is fairly easy to learn to use (the basics at least) and the more you use it, the more features you will find.

I am a technical translator and Trados is a real help in this field.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
Flemish to English
+ ...
End customer Jun 27, 2009

jyuan_us wrote:

Where on the website of Sdlx do you find "trados translation rates"?
Do you think those agencies give the same discounts to the end-customer, who is totally unaware of "Trados translation rates"?.
There is no such thing as "trados translation rates" or "déjà vu x translation rates" or "memo q" translation rates. Next thing they are going to ask is dragon dictate discounts?

When you are at a petrol station and you fill up an extra gallon of gas, do you get a discount?

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-27 10:02 GMT]

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-27 13:35 GMT]

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a tool Jun 27, 2009

Trados is just a tool.

Does a taxi-driver offer a 'diesel-rate', does your accountant offer an 'excel-rate', does a gardener offer a 'rake-rate'?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No "trados rate" Jun 27, 2009

If you feel that it's a good idea just give some discount on repetitions or alternatively promise a discount in the future if they give you the same document with some small modifications just remember to keep the TM.

Good luck with Trados

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Personally... Jun 27, 2009

Elena Huffman wrote:
Hypothetically, what would be your Trados fees for a medical translation?

Personally, if I was in charge of specifying the discount rate, I'd say this:

Non-editable repetitions: free (100% discount)
Non-editable 100% matches: free (100% discount)
Editable repetitions: 67% discount
Editable 100% matches: 67% discount
Matches between 85% and 98%: 33% discount
Matches between 1% and 84%: no discount

The match-based discounts apply only to matches from a previous TM, not from the current text. The discounts for repetitions obviously do apply to repetitions in the current text (that is logical).

Editable repetitions and matches are those that the client expect me to check. Non-editable repetitions and matches are those that the client does not expect me to check or edit and which are marked beforehand. In other words, I specifically bear no responsibility for those particular matches and repetitions (as I don't even look at them). If the client expects me to check all matches and repetitions, then they are all editable, and then I'm obviously responsible for checking them and editing them where necessary.

You'll notice I say "98%" and not "99%" -- this is because I generally apply a 1% penalty for case difference, format difference, punctuation difference etc (not sure how this works in Trados... as I use Wordfast myself). So for me a 99% match is the same as an editable 100% match.

That said... clients who want Trados discounts usually specify their own discount schemes, which I accept or reject on an ad hoc basis based on the resultant amount for the job.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Rake rates Jun 27, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:
...does a gardener offer a 'rake-rate'?

In an ideal world, yes. Both gardener and translator get paid per hour, but for both it may be difficult to quote on an hourly basis, so they convert their hourly rate into a word rate or a rake rake. The translator can calculate the number of hours based on the number of words, and the gardener can calculate the number of hours based on the number of rake strokes. A bigger rake helps the gardener work faster, so he can offer a rake discount for competitiveness. The bigger rake can't be used on all nooks and crannies of the garden however, and for those smaller patches of lawn, the gardener uses a narrower rake and charges a higher rate per rake stroke. Of course, the gardener can only charge per rake stroke if he has access to an accurate plan of the garden and a program that can pre-calculate the optimal use of rake sizes in the entire garden. But if he does have such a system, he can get the edge over his competitors. He could choose to tell the customer that he uses this system but that he expects the customer to pay full rates to help him pay for the system. Or he could offer the customer discounts, and be competitive.

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who is going to tell the gardener? Jun 27, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Rawlins wrote:
...does a gardener offer a 'rake-rate'?

In an ideal world, yes. Both gardener and translator get paid per hour, but for both it may be difficult to quote on an hourly basis, so they convert their hourly rate into a word rate or a rake rake. The translator can calculate the number of hours based on the number of words, and the gardener can calculate the number of hours based on the number of rake strokes. A bigger rake helps the gardener work faster, so he can offer a rake discount for competitiveness. The bigger rake can't be used on all nooks and crannies of the garden however, and for those smaller patches of lawn, the gardener uses a narrower rake and charges a higher rate per rake stroke. Of course, the gardener can only charge per rake stroke if he has access to an accurate plan of the garden and a program that can pre-calculate the optimal use of rake sizes in the entire garden. But if he does have such a system, he can get the edge over his competitors. He could choose to tell the customer that he uses this system but that he expects the customer to pay full rates to help him pay for the system. Or he could offer the customer discounts, and be competitive.

Excellent analysis Samuel.

Now we just have to decide who is going to the tell the gardener that he will have to invoice once a month and wait 60 days for payment. I suggest that if he is more than six foot tall - then you tell him!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:38
English to French
+ ...
So? Jun 27, 2009

jyuan_us wrote:

Most translation agencies require a discount

That doesn't mean you have to give it to them...

Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Jun 27, 2009

You, guys, are the best, so many different opinions and things to consider:) Thank you So much, merci beacoup, danke shaun(Don`t really know how to spell that one:) , gracias etc:)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados translation rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »