invoicing Switzerland from France as BNC (VAT exempt)
Thread poster: Gill Zschunke
Gill Zschunke
France
Local time: 23:09
French to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2009

Hello,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I can't find a full reply to my concerns.

I am a BNC micro-entreprise in France and as such am VAT exempt in accordance with article 293 B du CGI.

For the first time, I must invoice a client in German speaking Switzerland and I've no idea what I should do? Do I just invoice him normally excluding VAT or do I have to put some special comment on the invoice? Even more complicated as I may have to invoice him in German (or maybe English may be easier...).

Any help / examples would be most appreciated.

Gill

Direct link Reply with quote

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Suggestion Jul 1, 2009

Since your invoice is going to the German speaking part in Switzerland, I would suggest to issue the invoice in German.

Then you could add the sentence: "Nach § XX Abs. XX des franz. UStG bin ich nicht umsatzsteuerpflichtig."

Gill Zschunke
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CGI = UstG? Jul 1, 2009

Many thanks for your help avantix. Does General Tax Code (CGI) translate to UstG?

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Should be simple Jul 1, 2009

I'm no expert on the French interpretation of EU VAT law, but if you were domiciled in e.g. Gemany or the UK and exempted from the VAT system because you don't reach the threshold, I'm sure the same principle would apply as if you were VAT registered:

No VAT chargeable on invoices to customers outside the EU. Period.

HTH,
Robin
PS: I'm sure your customer in German-speaking Switzerland will be happy with an invoice in English (unless they're in some remote valley in Uri or Schwyz...)

Gill Zschunke
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, robin Jul 2, 2009

Many thanks, Robin. Yes, this was most helpful and is indeed what I'll do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoicing Switzerland from France as BNC (VAT exempt)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search