Does getting my own domain email address help or hurt with agencies?
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2009

Hello...

I recently purchased my own domain name as a freelance translator (not as an agency) interested in marketing more to direct clients and using my email address from that domain for correspondence, which is david(at)jessoptranslations.com. I have balked thus far in using this email address when responding to agencies or non-direct clients that contact me via my profile here or by other means.

Why?

I am afraid agencies would wonder if I were starting my own agency (not the case at this time) and would be reluctant to work with me.

What do you think? Do you have experience with this?

Thanks for your comments.

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No damage whatsoever Jul 1, 2009

I think yours is a perfectly reasonable decision and will improve your professional image. Having your own domain to advertise your service is perfectly compatible with working with agencies. I don't think anybody will think you are starting an agency until you do so and advertise it so in your website.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No problem at all working with agencies... Jul 1, 2009

...However, you will get TONS of unsolicited e-mails and resumes from translators who want to work for your "company".

Also, I do not know about Spain, but in the U.S., you have to register your fictitious name with the state you live in.

During the recent ATA conference in Orlando, I picked up a ton of resumes and there are many freelance translators with agency-sounding domain names.

[Edited at 2009-07-01 17:33 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
jessoptranslations Jul 1, 2009

...does sound an awful lot like a company name. In fact I would probably assume it's a company of some sort, at least a two-member (husband and wife?) team, a family venture or a small agency.

Having a domain of your own doesn't necessarily suggest that you are more than a sole freelancer, but this domain choice does - to me anyway.

[Edited at 2009-07-01 17:41 GMT]

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
This should help you Jul 1, 2009

Many translator (like me) just ignore emails from agencies hosted on free mail servers and respect those with an own domain.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessary Jul 1, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
Also, I do not know about Spain, but in the U.S., you have to register your fictitious name with the state you live in.

Not at all necessary in Spain, most specially with a .com domain. In the case of the .es domains you have to have some proof that you are the legal user of the name. I.e. you cannot register "CocaColaDeEspaña.es" unless you really are Coca-Cola de España...

conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Lots of people do it Jul 1, 2009

I know of several freelancers who have their own domain names (including me) that they use for translation email purposes, and I don't see any problems with it.

One definite bonus of having email that way is that if you move residences, you won't have to change your work email address, which makes it easier for clients to find you, and easier for you when changing your contact information with people. I have moved various times and this has definitely been a plus for me.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
! Jul 1, 2009

David Jessop wrote:

Hello...

I recently purchased my own domain name as a freelance translator

It was the best thing you could do

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't foresee problems Jul 1, 2009

David Jessop wrote:
I recently purchased my own domain name ... which is david(at)jessoptranslations.com. ... I am afraid agencies would wonder if I were starting my own agency (not the case at this time) and would be reluctant to work with me.

If your signature says "David Jessop" and the mail address is david at jessop-something.com, then I think the message should be fairly clear that you are to a large extend in control of the "company". Add your title the signature ("Freelance translator") and you're home free.

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 1, 2009

Thanks to everyone! Your comments are very helpful. In the end, I see more advantage than not and I think using a tagline such as Sam Murray suggested will help.

Best,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does getting my own domain email address help or hurt with agencies?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search