Until I have no registered company, can I get customers here at Proz?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2009

Until I have no registered company, can I really get customers here at Proz?

If I can't display any Tax ID and Tax ID name on My Profile, will potential customers hesitate to use my translation services?

Also, if I would get customers, am I always the one who are liable to pay all taxes? Even if I would reveive jobs from translation agencies?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looking for customers Jul 4, 2009

I don't know about Chinese law, but in my opinion you can look for work, advertise your services and get jobs in Proz.com or anywhere else without being registered as a business. You don't need a tax ID to register inPproz (my tax ID is not in my profile).

I reckon that in China, as in any other country, you need to be officially registered in order to be able to issue an invoice, get your money, and pay taxes for your work.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check forex restrictions Jul 4, 2009

The term "outsourcer" can also mean an individual, and hence does not restrict individuals from posting jobs.

However, individuals assume the tax burden (like VAT), and hence must account for it some way in their respective tax declarations.

Your problems may come from other quarters. Where a country does not easily issue credit cards for foreign trade, or restricts outbound forex transfers (by subjecting them to so many fees or paper procedures, for example), these may indirectly affect your capability for entering into contracts involving foreign exchange.

Hope it helps.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
As I understand your sitiuation Jul 4, 2009

after reading some of your posts it would be really good idea to consult a local lawyer accountant. I am sure that it is possible to start the business you have in mind without that but small investment of time and money now may save you many problems in the future.

Another idea would be to ask a few questions in Chinese forum.

Good luck!

Stanislaw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search