Does anyone have experience with Transfermate?
Thread poster: Deborah Workman

Deborah Workman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2009

I reside in the United States and am always looking for a way to make it easier and cheaper to receive cross-border payments from my clients who are mostly in Europe (Finland, France, Netherlands, Spain, UK).

Moneybookers used to be the best solution in terms of fees to receive, but most of my clients seemed to mistrust the service and in any case now MB has stopped allowing funds to be sent to the States from abroad.

PayPal was OK as long as the payments were made by cash transfer rather credit/debit card, but most European customers don't have the cash transfer option and now PayPal is subjecting all transfers to a 4% charge (2.9% receive + 1% crossborder surcharge + USD0.30) unless the sender specifies that the amount is "Personal" for "Payment owed". These options are not easy spot since they are on a tab which is hidden by default -- the main tab presents "Purchase" and "Services" as options (along with "Goods" and "eBay"), so this is naturally what clients choose, besides which it's obviously a workaround to claim that the transfer is "Personal". I admit that for small amounts the net outlay for fees on PayPal is still less than what my client pays to send a bank wire or I pay to receive one, but one quickly runs into the ceilings PayPal imposes and/or 4% of a job larger than USD625 exceeds the bank fee on an incoming wire.

So, I've explored Xetrade.com as an alternative. It gets good reviews but my clients seem to be hesitant to try it, maybe because the initial setup is a little onerous.

I understand that Customhouse.com uses the same back end as Xetrade.com but might be more appealing to clients (though the substance may not be that different, perhaps the look and feel and customer interface are more attractive). However, I understand CH is being acquired by WU. I've received payment via WU from one client, but as a rule my clients don't like to use this service either even though I believe WU allows them to originate payment from the desktop.

Now I've just learned about Transfermate.com. Does anyone have experience with it?

In the meantime, I encourage my clients to simply send me their euro or sterling checks. I deposit these at my bank and that's the end of it. But it does take longer, and I've noticed that some clients don't want to write a paper check (I guess because they don't use them for anything else).

I'd be interested to hear feedback not only from translators who receive payments from Europe but also from agencies who send payments from Europe. I'd like to understand the banking environment a little better so I can more easily identify a solution that is practical for all involved.

Thanks!

Deborah

Direct link Reply with quote

patriciaO
Local time: 22:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does anybody know where Delgado Travel is in Bahía Blanca, Argentina? Jul 4, 2009

I need information about a company to receive some payment from the USA.

I've been to Delgado Travel's site and the map shows offices in B.A. and Bahía Blanca. However, I've searched here and nobody knows where this company is.

Thanks in advance.

Patricia Oostdyk
Sworn/Certified Translator

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone have experience with Transfermate?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search