Negotiating prices
Thread poster: David Young (X)
David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:00
Danish to English
Jul 5, 2009

Ever thought of negotiating prices in a restaurant as they sometimes try to do with translators?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
100% matches Jul 5, 2009

Three identical entrees or 3 times 100% matches doesn't that require a discount because the chef used a special tool to make these entrees?
"We had the same beef twice" : identicial match: isn't there a discount required.
Pitty there is no sturdy waiter in the translation business.
--*-*-
At the hair-dressers
An unpaid "test-lining" to see what her husband says...
Two linings at a hair-dresser'
... See more
Three identical entrees or 3 times 100% matches doesn't that require a discount because the chef used a special tool to make these entrees?
"We had the same beef twice" : identicial match: isn't there a discount required.
Pitty there is no sturdy waiter in the translation business.
--*-*-
At the hair-dressers
An unpaid "test-lining" to see what her husband says...
Two linings at a hair-dresser's best rate would require a discount because he performs identical gestures.

Note that in the restaurant and at the barber shop immediate payment is required after delivery of service. I wonder how the waiter and the barber would react if you paid them 60 days later...

B.T.W. : do restaurant holders of Michelin *** give discounts if you are served the same dish twice and do you pay them after 60 days? What about Italy. Do you go to a restaurant and pay 60-90 days later?

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-07-05 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's the reason for these differences? Jul 5, 2009

Yes, the video is good fun but I wonder what useful consequences you can extract by comparing such different business relationships.

Basically, the video makes fun by taking situations which normally take place in business to business relationships and applying them to business to individual consumer situations.

Open a shop in the main street offering your translations to the individual consumers and you will immediately be able to get paid upon delivery,
... See more
Yes, the video is good fun but I wonder what useful consequences you can extract by comparing such different business relationships.

Basically, the video makes fun by taking situations which normally take place in business to business relationships and applying them to business to individual consumer situations.

Open a shop in the main street offering your translations to the individual consumers and you will immediately be able to get paid upon delivery, no problem!

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-07-05 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
One possible solution Jul 5, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

Open a shop in the main street offering your translations to the individual consumers and you will immediately be able to get paid upon delivery, no problem!

I've come to a possible solution for outsourcers who charge their clients up-front, or on delivery, and then pay their vendors some time in the future, but I might be the only one on earth to have the poker-face to implement it.

I'd tell the prospect that my price is "X" for cash payment upon delivery, or "2X" (yes, double that!) for payment in 30 days, "3X" for payment in 60 days, and so on.

This would certainly arouse some infuriated response, demanding an explanation, which I'd be very pleased to give: "I am top-flight translation professional, however I feel absolutely no shame from being acknowledged as the world's worst money lending institution!"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Negotiating prices

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »