England: Translating from English, how much should I charge?
Thread poster: xxxtranslator38

xxxtranslator38
Local time: 22:39
Jul 5, 2009

Hi all,

I am translating a website from English into French, Spanish and Italian. So far I have done the one into French, which took me 10.5 hours. It's very technical vocabulary so required a lot of research, although some of it was just copy paste (because many products were similar so I'd only have to change the colour). I have been offered £150 per website. Is this a good deal? I know people who charge about 26euros per hour, so how does this compare to standard UK prices?

Thank you

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Seems rather generous on the whole Jul 5, 2009

How often do you suppose you would find a client willing to pay so much to a single person to translate a website into three languages? I certainly wouldn't spend that much. Count your lucky stars! At nearly GBP 15 per hour... gross... I can't remember when I last earned so much.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I hope Kevin is joking Jul 5, 2009

I tend to charge 20 pounds (35 euros) per hour and make anything between 20 and 40 when translating.

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Check your exchange rate! Jul 5, 2009

I think your numbers are a bit out of whack, Marijke. I don't remember the pound ever being that high.

You also have to remember that these days it is a privilege to get paid to translate web sites. Our translator here should be grateful for the offer of money, as we all know that it could be done better, cheaper and faster by crowdsourcing!

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wow Jul 5, 2009

I don't think I've ever before come across a professional (?) translator with your skill set.

You have three native languages and a high level command of English (at least that's what I assume as that's what's needed to complete the assignment you're considering). If so, you're definitely underselling yourself at £15/hour. Leave such derisory rates to Kevin and his cleaner.

Sorry, forgot to add a "ironic mode" tag.

[Edited at 2009-07-05 19:32 GMT]

chica nueva
Local time: 09:39
Chinese to English
Please tell us more about yourself ... Jul 5, 2009

Please tell us more about yourself ...

Hello translator387

Are you real or a sock-puppet? If you do not fill out any details on your profile, how can we know? ...

Lesley

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just finished translating a 35,000 word website for a reputabale company Jul 6, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

I think your numbers are a bit out of whack, Marijke. I don't remember the pound ever being that high.

You also have to remember that these days it is a privilege to get paid to translate web sites. Our translator here should be grateful for the offer of money, as we all know that it could be done better, cheaper and faster by crowdsourcing!

And I am being paid 0.10 eurocents per word.

I translate 3 or 4 websites a month that range between a few thousand words and tens of thousands of words. All paid between 0.09 and 0.12 eurocents per word. I really do not know where you are getting your information from Kevin. It is possible that the Dutch to English language combination (my main source of income) is a niche market but... If you want to sell your product, your website should look and feel professional!

Prices in the Uk are slightly lower than on the continent and that is why there is a discrepancy between the sterling and euro hourly rate (it is not a conversion).

[Edited at 2009-07-06 06:33 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Opportunities galore for the unprofessional :-) Jul 6, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:
I translate 3 or 4 websites a month that range between a few thousand words and tens of thousands of words. All paid between 0.09 and 0.12 eurocents per word. I really do not know where you are getting your information from Kevin... If you want to sell your product, your website should look and feel professional!

Wow, that's a lot of money for a web site. Not everyone has discovered the benefits of Google Translate and crowdsourcing yet I suppose, but reliable sources do predict that this will happen by 2012. And don't get any lofty notions of making a living cleaning houses then - a new generation of Japanese robots will have that covered.

Professionalism is much overrated. For every potential customer who values clean design and an organized presentation of one's services, there are probably dozens who get a thrill from bold, clashing colors (especially yellow backgrounds), flashing text and other animations, pictures of house pets and beach vacations and truly Byzantine navigation. It's simply no fun being able to find information the first time and even less to be able to understand it at first try. People do not value what they don't have to work for. Therefore I have decided to start offering translation services into my third, fourth and fifth languages (Russian, Japanese and Sumerian), which I am sure will be more appreciated than the boring, garden-variety work I do from German. I used to read Dutch newspapers on my weekends in Haarlem, so I should probably start translating into Dutch too, as I've heard that one can sometimes make even more than Spanish translators in Argentina! I may need a proofreader (after all, I'm thinking of claiming EN ISO 15038 compliance like so many others), so expect to hear from me soon.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
And please .... Jul 6, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

I used to read Dutch newspapers on my weekends in Haarlem, so I should probably start translating into Dutch too, as I've heard that one can sometimes make even more than Spanish translators in Argentina!

... don't forget the convenient sidestep into Afrikaans, a surefire overnight move -- it's that easy or so the 'experts' tell usicon_wink.gif

mystymy
Local time: 17:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
WOW talk about payment discrepancies Jul 6, 2009

Here in the states we get much more for websites. I assume you are only translating and then sending it back to the webmaster.

If that is the case then payment is different, but if you are working with codes, CSS style sheets, javascript, irfanview and all that you should be getting much much more.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
On yellow backgrounds Jul 6, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

....bold, clashing colors (especially yellow backgrounds), flashing text and other animations, ....

You will undoubtedly be overjoyed to learn that there is now one less website out there with a yellow background. Well, OK, the colour is on my business card so I've kept it in the page header block for consistency, but I do hope you'll find the rest of it a bit easier on the eye. I quite like it, but I think I must have steel eyeballs or something, 'cos I'm the only person in the whole world that didicon_smile.gif

(Oh, and I have got round to doing the French version of the site yet, so don't go there!)

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of this thread, other than to hope that the OP gets out a calculator, works out the earnings compared to the time spent, and see whether he/she considers it represents a fair day's pay for a fair day's work...

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Oh. Well, I suppose it's an option Jul 7, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of this thread, other than to hope that the OP gets out a calculator, works out the earnings compared to the time spent, and see whether he/she considers it represents a fair day's pay for a fair day's work...

I had rather thought the comments might inspire the OP to charge more, not jack it in. Surely one of the shortest-lived memberships ever? (Excluding the lovelorn spammers, of course.)

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:39
English to French
+ ...
European opportunity ? Jul 8, 2009

I suppose this ex-new member was the lucky person who got a job advertised by the Finnish job board :

http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/139546-the_best_translation_job_ads.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

England: Translating from English, how much should I charge?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search