Thread poster: Andrei Yefimov

Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 10, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am negotiating a payment method with one of my customers based in France. I was told that they usually split bank charges between them and a translator. They also told me that they paid EUR 3.25 for each international payment.

So, my questions is: could bank fees in France be that low, and then why should we split the charges if their amount is so low? Also, are bank fees paid at both ends? AFAIK only a person who makes a payment bears the charges, no?

I was asking the customer a lot about this yesterday but his explanations were confusing, and I don't want to bother him in this matter anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Andrei

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Bank charges Jul 10, 2009

As far as I know, bank charges for international transfers are extremely variable from bank to bank. We have never split charges with the freelancers we work with, as well as our clients have never asked us to split their charges...

Best regards,

Teresa Borges

xxxjoannah
French to English
+ ...
Ask your bank... Jul 11, 2009

In addition to bearing your customer's charges, you will probably be charged a hefty amount by your bank as well. You should probably ask your bank, but I very much doubt that they will not charge you an arm and a leg, in addition to an unfavorable foreign exchange rate, unless you have a foreign exchange account.

I don't see any reason why your customer cannot pay via Moneybookers. It does not cost your customer anything to register.

AFAIK, sending money costs a flat EUR 0.5, which even your customer can afford not to split, and there are no receiving fees (much better than the 3.9% PayPal receiving charge).

HTH,
Jo

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:10
English to French
+ ...
EU zone Jul 11, 2009

Fees as very low inside the euro zone following a European directive. For instance my bank in France charges 3.00 Eur when I make a paiement by wire transfer to Belgium or Ireland.

When one of the parties is outside the Euro zone (for instance UK ) then the charges can be much higher.

As a freelancer I work mainly with agencies based in the Euro zone. I always receive full amount - only the outsourcer pays the charges.

Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:10
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much! Jul 12, 2009

Thank you all for this helpful information.

As to moneybookers, they can pay only via Paypal or WireTransfer. They do not seem to be willing to register there:(

Special thanks to you, nordiste, now I understand why the fees are that low. Sadly, the customer is not very cooperative; if you didn't let me know this I'd probably have all my money taken away by the charges.

Thanks again, folks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wire Transfer from France

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search