Book translation: conditions and contract
Thread poster: tradumarian
tradumarian
Local time: 16:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 10, 2009

I have looked for information about the rights of a translator and found that there is legislation that protects our rights (in the national and international fields) and that considers the translator as the author of his/her work. There is an act in Argentina that guarantees many conditions I didn’t know. And among them there are many of the items I asked you about, such as copyright, royalties, etc. And I would have the right to perceive a percentage on the translation copies sold, not on the copies printed.
In case there is a contract between translator and client, the translator has to register it. So he/she is in need of a lawyer, because the registration is to be done under his/her direction.
I was thinking that I could ask my client if she agrees to asses my conditions, let her know them and then asking her if she accepts setting them in a contract. If she is not reluctant to my proposal, then I would ask for a lawyer to write the contract. I could ask my client to send me an advance on my payment so that I could pay the lawyer for the services. Is it a good idea? What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
Consult with a copyright lawyer and the client Jul 11, 2009

I recently translated a book too, and in my case, I got paid a lump sum amount that was higher than my normal per word rate, about 30% higher. I did not sign a specific royalty or percentage of profit contract, just got paid little more than normal rate. I'd suggest to consult with a copyright lawyer and your client for details and put all of the details in writing and sign it. In my case, since I did not have to sign a specific royalty contract, I did not have to think about how many books were going to be sold. I could have signed such contract, but now I think that it could have made things a little complicated because I'd would have follow book sales figures and other matters that are associated with signing such a contract.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book translation: conditions and contract

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search