Spanish-English vice-versa translation rates
Thread poster: saritamackita
saritamackita
United States
Local time: 04:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2009

I'm just starting out at this and how no idea how much to charge. Sorry if you guys get this question a lot. I don't have any real technical expertise, but am well educated, my native language is English, but have about a high-advanced to superior knowledge of Spanish. How much should I charge considering that I know the language well, but have no real hard core translation experience or technical expertise? Suggestions would be great!!

Sorry if you get questions like this a lot....

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
First step: fill your profile Jul 12, 2009

As there is no set rate in any language pair, I think the most reasonable first step is that you fill your profile in Proz with all your details and/or qualifications. As from your profile we can't really tell about your background, experience in fields other than translation, linguistic knowledge/experience, it is really impossible to tell you what rate we feel a customer might accept...

So enter your information (also your CV if you wish) in your profile and we might be able to discuss this further.

Good luck!

saritamackita
United States
Local time: 04:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! and about the portfolio... Jul 12, 2009

ok. Thanks for your input! I'll definitely be working on filling out the rest of everything and making my CV as pretty as possible considering my situation. Do you have any advice of things that I could translate to put in my portfolio? Since I don't have a translating job yet, I figure I could maybe just find something on the internet that seems appropriate, translate it, and then post it. Does that sound right? I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, I just really have NO idea how best to go about this and want to do it as well as I can.

Thanks a lot.

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Second and third steps: Search ProZ and check others' rates Jul 13, 2009

Next, I suggest you go up to the top right and fill in "rates" where it says "Search ProZ.com." Scroll down, to the FAQs and the Forums, and you will see endless discussions of appropriate rates.
Then, click into the profiles of the translators on this site, and find some with background, skills, and experience similar to yours. See what their rates are. Many, of course, do not post their rates, but with a little looking around, you should be able to find some basis for comparison.
!Suerte!

[Edited at 2009-07-13 04:11 GMT]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
... Jul 13, 2009

saritamackita wrote:

I figure I could maybe just find something on the internet that seems appropriate, translate it, and then post it. Does that sound right?

It does, if you limit yourself to the public domain (no copyrighted material for which you could be sued). It would also make sense to choose those fields you want to be working in or are competent in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English vice-versa translation rates

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search