Thread poster: giodiomede

giodiomede  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:42
French to Italian
+ ...
Jul 19, 2009

Hi everybody,

I was asked by a client to get in touch with some people he wants to meet on a business travel. I have called and made appointments for him in 2 different days and have e-mailed him all the results of my telephone calls. I still will have to do some other calls on monday and tuesday. Then I will attend these meetings as interpreter.
I already made a quote for the interpreting job, but I don't know what I can ask for the calls and basically the secretary service I did and will do for him.

Should I set a hourly rate? How much should I ask? I never did that before so I have no idea of what the market is.
Thanks for your replies.
Giovanna

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Your normal hourly rate Jul 19, 2009

Hi Giovanna,

If he asks you to do what amounts to secretarial work, it is still freelance secretarial work, so you need to charge rather more in comparison to the salary of a secretary working in an office of a company. In that case, you will quite easily be charging a translator's hourly rate, even if you do not take the point of view that, if one employs a professional to do a different job, one expects to pay the professional's regular hourly rate.

On this basis, either way, your normal hourly rate should be fine - in addition to any telephone charges you pay, which would be listed on the invoice separately as outlays.

All the best for the interpreting session!

Astrid

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
English to Russian
+ ...
I would also suggest.. Jul 20, 2009

.. to establish a minimum in hours to be paid for these errands outside the scope of your interpreting project. Good luck!

giodiomede  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both. Jul 21, 2009

I asked for a hourly rate plus costs according to telephon bill and he accepted.

I was lucky
Giovanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rate for telephone calls

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search