Aviram Gang  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:28
Member (2010)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jul 31, 2009

Hallo,

I was asked for the change in my rate per word (in percentage) for proofreading by another 2 eyes.

I'm not sure what the answer should be.

Does anyone have experience with such pricing?

Thanks in advance,

Aviram

[Edited at 2009-07-31 16:07 GMT]

cilantro  Identity Verified
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
I would deduct the exact cost Jul 31, 2009

Hi Aviram,
From my experience when asked to do this it typically means that the outsorcer is very unhappy with your rate. Perhaps he/she does not want to lose face by negotiating.
If given a chance, I would offer to deduct the proofing charge _per word_ from my rate...

Hope this helps,
David

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
2 eyes Jul 31, 2009

Aviram Shamir wrote:

Hallo,

I was asked for the change in my rate per word (in percentage) for proofreading by another 2 eyes.

I'm not sure what the answer should be.

Does anyone have experience with such pricing?

Thanks in advance,

Aviram

[Edited at 2009-07-31 16:07 GMT]

I think you should charge separately for each eyeicon_smile.gif

Seriously though: I would agree with the many other translators who avoid proof-reading work. You can never foretell what the quality of the translation you're checking is going to be. At worst, it could be a straight machine translation requiring a total rewrite, in which case I would charge my full rate for translation. At best it could be a good enough translation but not by a mother-tongue translator, and so full of all the awkwardnesses you always find in such translations. In those (latter) cases I might charge 50% of my normal tariff.

But most translators seem to agree that proofreading is rather a thankless, uninteresting task.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:28
English to French
Ask how much the second pair of eyes wants to be paid Jul 31, 2009

and put some markup of you wish.

As a guideline, I would think a fee between 20 and 30% on top of the translation price would be appropriate for another round of editing by another party, provided that the initial output is good enough.

Enjoy your weekend,
Philippe

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:28
English to French
+ ...
Make sure you are on the same wavelength Jul 31, 2009

What does the client mean by proofreading? Do they mean that you will read the target text only to ensure that it reads well and is clean of mistakes? Or do they mean that you have to compare source and target text, ensure that the original meaning was rendered correctly and that the terminology is right? The former involves much less work than the latter. Needless to say, this should also affect the rate you charge for each.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aviram, could you clarify the situation, please? Aug 1, 2009

Aviram,
Do I understand correctly that the client asked you how much higher your rate would be if you included proofreading by someone else? That means they expect you to do the translation, then find a proofreader, get him/her to do the proofing, then you deliver the proofed job to the client, they pay you, and you pay your proofreader.
Is this what they asked indeed?

I think you need to clarify because from the answers I see some people understood your question differently.

Katalin

Aviram Gang  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Aug 1, 2009

Thanks Katalin,

You made it clear - that's exactly what I meant.
I've already replied by saying that the rate will be decided according to the offer I get from a proofreader and I can't give it in advance.

Any remarks?

Aviram

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:28
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I would decline to arrange for proofreading Aug 2, 2009

Hello Aviram,

I have also sometimes been asked by agencies whether I can provide the service of having the translation proofread by a third party. This sometimes means that the agency has, for example, some kind of certification guaranteeing that they provide translations to a certain standard, and that this standard stipulates that they must have the translation proofread by someone else (in Europe this would be EN15038). They are inviting you to fulfil both parts of the requirement for them.

To do this, I think you would need to already be regularly working together with a colleague in this way. You cannot find somebody, for the one occasion, if you do not already know a colleague to whom you could reliably entrust the job. The effort involved in finding someone takes quite a bit of time, for which you would not be paid. It is really the agency's job to put in that effort. Then, once you pick someone, if you have not seen that person's work before you have no guarantee of being able to fulfil either your own or the agency's expectations/requirements.

I politely answer the agencies who request this, explaining that I do not presently work together with a colleague in this way, therefore I cannot provide this extra service. I state that I naturally proofread my own translations extremely carefully and do my best to assure the highest quality.

If the agency does not in fact have an official standard with which they need to comply, they then often offer me the higher rate, on the basis that I can guarantee high quality, ready to send on to the client. One such agency has boxes which they check on the PO, i.e. a box to check for translation being requested and a box to check for proofreading being requested. They now always check both boxes when sending me a document for translation, and pay me accordingly.

If, however, they need to find a third party proofreader to comply with a particular standard, they then thank me for my response and pay me the best possible rate (either the original rate agreed or a little bit more), taking into account that I have assured them that proofreading will be a mere formality.

I would therefore suggest saying that you are sorry, but you do not provide this service at present, however you proofread your own translations extremely thoroughly, to the highest standard, etc.

If you then find you receive requests of this type with increasing frequency, you could consider finding a colleague with whom you could co-operate in this way, on a regular basis. You would then have a fixed rate that you could offer the agency for the service. As you would then, in effect, be acting as an agency to the agency, and bearing the financial risk of paying the colleague in good time, regardless of whether - and when - you were paid by your client (the agency), your additional charge should not simply equal your colleague's remuneration, but should include a mark-up (minimum 40%).

Best regards,

Astrid

P.S. Please bear in mind that it is not your problem if the agency has recently become EN15038-certified and does not have another translator with your language pairs in its database.

[Edited at 2009-08-02 07:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-02 07:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-02 07:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra charge for third-party proofreading

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search