Payment problem: anyone please help me or your advice is badly needed.
Thread poster: Xslator
Xslator
Local time: 11:41
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Sep 1, 2009

I need help or advice what to do if a translation company refuses to pay a translator? What are my options? Do I have a chance to compel them to pay me?
The agreed payment date is already more than one month overdue and I haven't heard form the client since July 2009. They were claiming some quality issues which have been filtered out already before. The translation company is based in Japan and I am in the opposite side of the world. We don't have any contract and the only mode of our agreements is through emails.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-01 23:03 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-01 23:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:41
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
30 days is not unusual Sep 1, 2009

Payment terms of 30 days are commonplace. Many agencies state 45 or even 60 days in the small print. I wouldn't start worrying yet. Simply send a polite reminder after about 45 days and see what the reply is.

Greetings, JJ

casey
United States
Local time: 06:41
Japanese to English
John is right Sep 2, 2009

In Japan many agencies pay 60 days after the end of the month in which the translation was delivered. So if you delivered your translation on July 1, you would not get paid until September 30. This is unfair, yes, but it is commonplace. Do they have a Blue Board record? If they do not pay after September 30 you should write a negative review on the Blue Board.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cheated Sep 2, 2009

You have probably been cheated. In such case, probably all you can do is take it as experience and not be so trusting any more. It is hard to collect from your next-door neighbor, let alone from someone who is on the other side of the world. From now on be careful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment problem: anyone please help me or your advice is badly needed.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search