Vladimir Shapovalov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Hello,

I wonder if any translators based in Spain have some knowledge of the fees that local banks charge for cashing US checks? What is a common charge for cashing foreign checks?

I am asking this because I sent a payment ($50 checks drawn in a US bank) to a person in Spain, but it turned out that a local bank charged her EUR 15.00 to cash this check. She said this percentage is pretty common for other local banks too (her bank is Caja Madrid). It makes 45% of the $50.
... See more
Hello,

I wonder if any translators based in Spain have some knowledge of the fees that local banks charge for cashing US checks? What is a common charge for cashing foreign checks?

I am asking this because I sent a payment ($50 checks drawn in a US bank) to a person in Spain, but it turned out that a local bank charged her EUR 15.00 to cash this check. She said this percentage is pretty common for other local banks too (her bank is Caja Madrid). It makes 45% of the $50...

[Edited at 2003-09-30 23:25]
Collapse

mbc
mbc
Spain
Local time: 15:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
depends on bank and your connections Oct 1, 2003

Hello, I live in Spain and sometimes get checks in US dollars. Most banks charged quite a lot (15 to 20%) and some won´t cash a check for under 100 dollars or so. Strangely enough, I´ve found, that if you always go to the same branch and deal with the same person the commission mysteriously gets a bit lower...

Vladimir Shapovalov
United States
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Madeline! Oct 10, 2003

I just learned that this Spanish bank also takes commission for incoming transfers (like EUR 15), which confused me even further... Is it a standard?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:30
English to German
+ ...
A bit on the high side... Oct 11, 2003

...but not too unusual - the German banks I deal with typically deduct between 6 and 10 euros for incoming non-EU transfer payments.

Best, Ralf

Vladimir Shapovalov
United States
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange... Oct 11, 2003

I have used several banks in Bulgaria and Cyprus and none of them applies any commission for incoming transfers. None of them charges for withdrawals (or opening/closing an account) either. I am really surprised that it's not a case in Western Europe

[Edited at 2003-10-11 09:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cashing US checks in Spain

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »