Sending translation test request to sell products?
Thread poster: milena ferrante
milena ferrante  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

A rather strange thing happened to me:

a company contacted me to offer me discounts for a software (I needed an update only). They sent a few messages in the past months, then after some time, they contacted me asking for a CV and a translation test. I didn't notice at all it was the same company who sold the software asking me for a test. I did the test and heard nothing from them.

I never responded before but finally I decided to answer: I asked for info about price for the software.

they sent me back the info and after a few minutes I got another message stating that i had passed the test.

Does it seem rather strange? I am wondering if they only want to sell the products.

Did it happen to someone else?

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
just be careful ... Sep 25, 2009

Selling software and being a translation agency are two respectable activities (well, not always...) but in my view there should be no connection between the two of them.

Agencies who insist that you buy software from them before working with them are almost always bad payers - either very low rates, or you never hear from them again. And you are never sure that the sofware they sell is genuine, if the discount is very big...

Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Check previous forum posts Sep 25, 2009

Have a look at this forum (and others) to see if it could be the same sort of scam.

http://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/111884-possible_scam:_agency_asking_translators_to%20_buy_software_from_them.html

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's no a virus or a scam Sep 25, 2009

no, they are not insisting...they just sent some messages about the possibility of buying a software, then all of a sudden I got a positive response for a test i have done. it's not a scam nor a virus, it's a real italian company

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to people who sent me pm Sep 25, 2009

sorry i cannot reply to regular mail, I ahve something not working in hotmail...please only reply here...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOTAL SCAM!! Sep 25, 2009

This has been described in at least two fora very recently. Please be careful! Don't purchase anything from these guys!

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
they are not linking translation to buying Sep 25, 2009

no, they are not connecting translation work to buying the software. nothing like that. I only very strangely got two messages about the updating and the passed test I had done some time ago over the course of hours so I was wondering....

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
A rule of thumb Sep 25, 2009

nordiste wrote:

Selling software and being a translation agency are two respectable activities (well, not always...) but in my view there should be no connection between the two of them.

Seconded. Call it principles or whatever, but I never would buy software from a potential or actual business partner and no matter whether the deal is genuine or not.

Edit: and I would not either think of downloading any tool offered by an agency or another client.

[Edited at 2009-09-25 17:35 GMT]

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 26, 2009

Thanks to everyone. I decided not to buy and wait to see what happens. If they really call me for a project, I'll post and let you know who they are.

Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
This is pure scam! Sep 27, 2009

It did not happen to us personally but I heard from other colleagues just the same story.
This must be something quite common.
I never ever would answer such a message or request!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending translation test request to sell products?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search