Radka Crossley
Radka Crossley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 3, 2009

Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice on this. I work for confernce interpreting agencies in the UK and know what is the going rate for my language combination here, but I have been approached by a foreign agency who are now asking me to give them my rates. I remember talking to a colleague from Italy a while ago who said that UK rates are ridiculously low, so I would like to get some advice on the average. Are the rates fairly equal across the EU? (this agency is in Spain). Is i
... See more
Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice on this. I work for confernce interpreting agencies in the UK and know what is the going rate for my language combination here, but I have been approached by a foreign agency who are now asking me to give them my rates. I remember talking to a colleague from Italy a while ago who said that UK rates are ridiculously low, so I would like to get some advice on the average. Are the rates fairly equal across the EU? (this agency is in Spain). Is it also dependent on language combination? Can you also claim for travel dates, if you have to go a day early? Is everything regarding travel and accomodation prearranged by the agency?
I just would not like to give them a quote that would make them think I am too cheap therefore rubbish, and I don't want to undercut my colleagues and undersell myself. On the other hand, too large a quote and they will not be back.

Any sort of advice would be much appreciated.
Radka

[Edited at 2009-10-03 22:15 GMT]
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
You rates? Oct 4, 2009

Hi Radka,

You do not give your rates, therefore it is difficult to compare with the situation in other EU countries.
However, I think the daily rates in Europe are around 600-900 EUR, depending on your pair and experience. Did you have a look at the AIIC website?

http://geraldineoudin.com

Radka Crossley
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My rates Oct 4, 2009

Hi,
Yes, sorry about that, I forgot to include those. They range between £250 and £310, depending on your pair. So it really is half the EU rates. The rates you suggest are what I believed them to be but would really like to have it confirmed. I had looked at the aiic site but didn't find anything of use. Thank you for your advice.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I wish Oct 4, 2009

France-Japon wrote:

I think the daily rates in Europe are around 600-900 EUR

I highly doubt that this is the average.
In Hungary, asking for more than 350 EUR is simply out of the question in most cases, and 250 is usually more realistic. Even in countries like France, I'd be suprised if the average was over 700 EUR like you suggest.

The EU institutions pay freelancers 300-500 EUR per day (net, after all taxes and contributions). Are you saying this is on the low side in the European context? I don't really think so.

Radka Crossley
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gross or net pay Oct 4, 2009

Well maybe it does add up, Farkas. The pay in UK is gross so by the time I've made deductions it will certainly come out as much lower than even the 300-500 you state. And I am not sure if Hungary's economy is currently on the same level as the old states'. (I mean no offence, please understand, I come from the Czech Republic myself and know that rates there are much lower and that does reflect the economy so is not an issue there). But working within the old EU states, I wonder if it is higher ... See more
Well maybe it does add up, Farkas. The pay in UK is gross so by the time I've made deductions it will certainly come out as much lower than even the 300-500 you state. And I am not sure if Hungary's economy is currently on the same level as the old states'. (I mean no offence, please understand, I come from the Czech Republic myself and know that rates there are much lower and that does reflect the economy so is not an issue there). But working within the old EU states, I wonder if it is higher than that.
Radka
Collapse

smvasc
smvasc
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates in Spain Oct 5, 2009

Rates in Spain for a full day work of conference interpreting range between 500-750 Euros. And yes, the agency has to cover all costs (travelling, accommodation, meals). Those are the current gross rates in Spain, TAX deductions will have to be applied afterwards.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
averages Oct 5, 2009

Radka Crossley wrote:

Well maybe it does add up, Farkas. The pay in UK is gross so by the time I've made deductions it will certainly come out as much lower than even the 300-500 you state. And I am not sure if Hungary's economy is currently on the same level as the old states'. (I mean no offence, please understand, I come from the Czech Republic myself and know that rates there are much lower and that does reflect the economy so is not an issue there). But working within the old EU states, I wonder if it is higher than that.
Radka

Sure, the Hungarian (Slovakian, Romanian, Polish etc.) economy is way behind in GDP per capita, average wages etc. compared to, say, the "old 15".

I don't think the average rate for all conference interpreting jobs in the EU-27 is over 500 EUR, and I'd be surprised if the EU-15 average reached 700. Of course both are guesstimates based on my limited experience, but I still don't think 600-900 is the norm, not even in the old member states.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
agencies Oct 6, 2009

I was talking direct rates, not through an agency...

Here comes a recent thread about interpreting rates:

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/142871-have_the_rates_for_interpreting_been_dropping.html

Radka Crossley
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most helpful Oct 6, 2009

Thank you very much to all the comments and suggestions. It certainly helped me to get a better picture and come up with an appropriate rate for this client. It however highlights just how poor rates really are in the UK where the cost of living is higher compared to many countries duscussed here and on the link posted by France Japon. That was an interesting discussion indeed. Thanks again

Christiana Tziortziou
Christiana Tziortziou  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
English to Greek
+ ...
Conference interpreting rates in EU Feb 23, 2012

Geraldine Oudin wrote:

Hi Radka,

You do not give your rates, therefore it is difficult to compare with the situation in other EU countries.
However, I think the daily rates in Europe are around 600-900 EUR, depending on your pair and experience. Did you have a look at the AIIC website?

http://geraldineoudin.com

I was looking through some posts for a similar question I have and stumbled across this post. Despite being quite old (the post), having a similar question myself, I thought I'd reply with my query.
I was contacted by a company to give them a quote for interpreting services (will be presentation of a financial trainer); full day and half day rates.
Rates in Greece vary, from 400-600 a day, and depending on who's providing the interpretation services (if it's a translation/interpretation agency or an individual/company).
When you say 600-900, do you mean, having another interpreter (a pair) to work with and change every two hours?

Christiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreting rates in EU

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »