Question regarding bad (former) employer advertising on Proz...
Thread poster: Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2009

Heya all, I wanted to ask you for some advice before doing anything 'rash' here on the board/site.

I have just noticed my former employer in Warsaw has posted a request on our Jobs board for a Proofreader. The company publishes *cough* two make-up magazines (one paper the other online), and when I worked for them, I (and the other Spanish translator/editor) had a LOT of problems; not only with payment and my contract, but with the lack of organisation and timely planning of the maga
... See more
Heya all, I wanted to ask you for some advice before doing anything 'rash' here on the board/site.

I have just noticed my former employer in Warsaw has posted a request on our Jobs board for a Proofreader. The company publishes *cough* two make-up magazines (one paper the other online), and when I worked for them, I (and the other Spanish translator/editor) had a LOT of problems; not only with payment and my contract, but with the lack of organisation and timely planning of the magazine articles by the management (particularly the 'Editor-in-Chief' who is also the company manager) and general communication between the management and the editors/translator/proofreads (that was my job) and IT programmers.

There were many, many problems, including (in the end) harassment when I left there, and I really would like to warn other Translators and Proofreaders against this company - or at the very least, make them aware of the things that go on so that they don't make the same mistakes I did in waiting around and believing they would adhere to their side of the 'bargain'.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:52
Italian to English
Blue Board Oct 4, 2009

Hello Khrystene

The only acceptable way to do this on ProZ.com is to make a Blue Board entry. Only paying Members have full access to the Blue Board but all Users can make entries.

If the company is not already mentioned on the site, you will have to add their details first.

Secondly, please bear in mind that the object of the Blue Board is solely to express your Willingness to Work Again (WWA) with the company by allocating a score of 1 to 5. You may add
... See more
Hello Khrystene

The only acceptable way to do this on ProZ.com is to make a Blue Board entry. Only paying Members have full access to the Blue Board but all Users can make entries.

If the company is not already mentioned on the site, you will have to add their details first.

Secondly, please bear in mind that the object of the Blue Board is solely to express your Willingness to Work Again (WWA) with the company by allocating a score of 1 to 5. You may add comments but please avoid anything that could be construed as defamatory.

Members will normally interpret a very low score as a danger signal as regards payment practices rather than communication and organisational issues so you may to wish to hint at the areas where performance could be improved.

Finally, thank you for not mentioning the name in the forums.
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also Oct 4, 2009

You can submit a support request to alert the staff.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 04:00 GMT]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:52
English to German
+ ...
Have the BB rules changed? Oct 4, 2009

Hi Russell,

BB rule no. 6 reads (my bold):
Outsourcers, and owners and employees of outsourcing companies listed in the Blue Board, may not make entries concerning their "likelihood of working again" with themselves or their companies.

I don't see anything in Khrystene's post that would indicate she worked for that company after she ended her employment there. What am I missing?

Best regards,
Ralf

PS Typo edited in posting title.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 06:02 GMT]

Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As I thought... Oct 4, 2009

Russell Jones wrote:

Hello Khrystene

Secondly, please bear in mind that the object of the Blue Board is solely to express your Willingness to Work Again (WWA) with the company by allocating a score of 1 to 5. You may add comments but please avoid anything that could be construed as defamatory.

Members will normally interpret a very low score as a danger signal as regards payment practices rather than communication and organisational issues so you may to wish to hint at the areas where performance could be improved.

Finally, thank you for not mentioning the name in the forums.

Thank you Russell, yes I guessed my choices were very limited. I am wary of the rules and defamation issues here, so that's why I was extra careful.

I did notice, though, that the Job listing has been put up by the person who is doing freelance (Pol-Eng) translating for the company I worked for, not the company itself. (The company does not have a Proz profile.) Is that appropriate? I would have thought it was the company itself that had to put up their job listing, not a freelance translator that is working for them. (Technicality perhaps.)

Anyway, I guess I will simply have to hope that those who have submitted proposals to that company and the person who made the listing, will not be burnt as I was.

Thanks for your opinions and advice guys. Keep it comin'!

PS: To answer Ralf, I have NO intention of EVER working for that company again.

Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details? Oct 4, 2009

Elías Sauza wrote:

[Edited at 2009-10-04 04:00 GMT]

Elias, what exactly do you mean by 'support request'? How or where would I get more info on that?

Thank you.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:52
SITE FOUNDER
http://www.proz.com/support Oct 4, 2009

Khrystene wrote:
Elías Sauza wrote:

Elias, what exactly do you mean by 'support request'? How or where would I get more info on that?

He is talking about the online support system: http://www.proz.com/support
Thanks!

Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support Request details... Oct 4, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Khrystene wrote:
Elías Sauza wrote:

He is talking about the online support system: http://www.proz.com/support
Thanks!

Ah, thank you Henry.

I'm not sure it would be useful in this case as I don't have 'documented' evidence as such and it'd be more 'he said, she said'. Still...

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:52
Italian to English
I stand corrected Oct 6, 2009

I have to bow to the greater experience of Ralf as a long-serving ex-Moderator.
While Khrystene is not now an employee of the outsourcer, a Blue Board entry can only be made if "commissioned work has been completed in full" and clearly this means in a freelance capacity, even if the rule does not explicitly say so.

I am sure the rule was actually devised to prevent outsourcers or their employees giving themselves positive feedback and did not anticipate this situation (as orig
... See more
I have to bow to the greater experience of Ralf as a long-serving ex-Moderator.
While Khrystene is not now an employee of the outsourcer, a Blue Board entry can only be made if "commissioned work has been completed in full" and clearly this means in a freelance capacity, even if the rule does not explicitly say so.

I am sure the rule was actually devised to prevent outsourcers or their employees giving themselves positive feedback and did not anticipate this situation (as originally described) but these are technicalities for discussion elsewhere.

However, since we now know that the job poster is not actually the outsourcer originally mentioned, it would seem impossible to speculate (publically) on the potential risks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question regarding bad (former) employer advertising on Proz...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »