https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/147371-using_translation_office_3000_for_non_translation_work.html

Using Translation Office 3000 for Non-Translation Work
Thread poster: Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2009)
French to English
Oct 7, 2009

In a recent thread on Numbering Invoices (http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/147248-what_are_the_different_ways_of_numbering_your_invoices.html), several translators gave positive reviews of Translation Office 3000. I downloaded the demo and I like it, but... I do writing work as well.

Does anyone have experien
... See more
In a recent thread on Numbering Invoices (http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/147248-what_are_the_different_ways_of_numbering_your_invoices.html), several translators gave positive reviews of Translation Office 3000. I downloaded the demo and I like it, but... I do writing work as well.

Does anyone have experience using TO 3000 for keeping track of clients and invoices for projects other than translation? There are a lot of parallels between writing and translation so I would think it would not be too much of a stretch. My other option is QuickBooks which is more versatile, but lacks the client and project tracking features of TO 3000.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:09
English to French
I think it is possible Oct 7, 2009

You can customise units and templates for paperwork, so I believe TO3000 can be used for international (multicurrency support) business management in varied home offices not necessary linked to translation.
The thing I know TO3000 doesn't support is managing outsourced work (Projetex from AIT does it, AFAIK).
Otherwise, to keep track of pending work, working folders, customers details, quotes, prices, invoicing and the rest, I find it very user-friendly and compact.

May
... See more
You can customise units and templates for paperwork, so I believe TO3000 can be used for international (multicurrency support) business management in varied home offices not necessary linked to translation.
The thing I know TO3000 doesn't support is managing outsourced work (Projetex from AIT does it, AFAIK).
Otherwise, to keep track of pending work, working folders, customers details, quotes, prices, invoicing and the rest, I find it very user-friendly and compact.

Maybe if you could put down your needs as a writer against those as a translator, you would get a clearer picture about TO3000's potential usefulness.

Hope it helps,
Philippe
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:09
Spanish
+ ...
Customization Oct 7, 2009

The services and group of services can also be fully customized. I also offer writing services, and I manage and invoice them with TO3000.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very customizable Oct 7, 2009

Hi

I am one of the people that recommended TO 3000 in the previous thread you mention, I find the program to be extremely useful, and one of the reasons is you can customize the service group, the service and the volume units, this would certainly let you keep track of writing jobs.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Does it work for teaching jobs? Oct 7, 2009

My other hat is teaching English to business people.

Sometimes the contract is very specific eg every Monday 10-12 am for 10 weeks, but often it's really quite random eg when both of us are free, and I'll tell you when I've run out of money / got bored / think I know it all / ...

Would anyone know if TO 3000 would actually be an asset or would it be a constant compromise?

Thanks for any input from fellow teachers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Translation Office 3000 for Non-Translation Work

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »