Small payments from Finland to Canada
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:56
Member (2008)
French to English
Oct 29, 2009

Does anyone have experience with small payments from Finland?

A client in Finland usually has large amounts and sends them by bank transfer. No problem, although the fee is about $15.00, I can live with it. But recently the sent a payment which was a small adjustment. The payment was €6.60, for which I had to pay a $15.00 wire fee!

They say that they can't send payments by PayPal from Finland, that Finnish banks don't support PayPal. Does anyone have experience with this?

If PayPal is not suitable for small payments from Finland, what is the best method to use?

[Edited at 2009-10-29 11:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
ask for a direct deposit into your account Oct 29, 2009

A few years ago I had a Finnish client who paid me using Moneybookers, but the fees (for me to access the money & send it my account) were high, so I asked if they could do a direct deposit.

That was infinitely better & easier for me -- but one time when the client asked for my information again & I wrote back saying that they already had it, I suppose they didn't like being reminded that it was at their fingertips. So while I was paid, I never again received work from that client.

Make sure that you have the complete direct deposit banking details necessary to send to your client BEFORE asking them to do that, so that they don't have to hassle with it.
Perhaps you could also ask them to suspend payments for small jobs until they add up to at least 100 euros??

Good luck! Hope this helps.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Direct deposit doesn't work Oct 29, 2009

Unfortunately, I don't believe direct deposit works with Canadian banks, except from other Canadian banks.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Moneybookers Oct 29, 2009

is the only system which can handle this.

The fee for remittance from your client´s mb account to your account is 0.50 euro only.
And you pay euro 1.60 for withdrawal to a normal bank account.

Needless to say that you can collect small fees at MB account and use them to purchase something online.

http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees

[Edited at 2009-10-29 13:26 GMT]

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
one last thing ... Oct 29, 2009

If you go with Moneybookers and keep money in that account, make sure that you check on it now & then ...

Last year when I had my hotmail account hijacked, money was withdrawn 3 separate times from Moneybookers and I wasn't informed about it until my balance was -0. There was no way to recover the money; I never received replies to my specific queries, so I just closed the account.

Meantime, though I'm no big fan of PayPal, they did inform me that there had been an attempt to withdraw money and I was able to prevent the same thing from happening.

bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Cheque Oct 29, 2009

They can send you a cheque. When I am depositing a cheque in EURO, RBC is converting a sum into CAD right away. And it is free. Sometimes they (at least at my bank branch) forget that you must sign this cheque in front of them if a cheque is issued by a bank in another country. If you do not sign, the cheque will be sent back to your bank in order for you to sign. I went through this process once, and now I remind them about this procedure. :0)

Good luck,
Olga

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Finnish to English
Paypal Oct 29, 2009

As far as I know Paypal IS used in Finland

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small payments from Finland to Canada

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search