Unit fee per word or page
Thread poster: xxxL.G.F.
xxxL.G.F.  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2009

Good afternoon my colleagues,

I am filling in my supplier details for one of the agencies I am currently working for and have some doubts about what to enter into the following sections:
- Minimum fee
- Unit fee
- Average cost
This is related to my own price list by word or page per day. If I am not wrong, minimum fee makes reference to my minimum rate per source or target word and average cost is the average rate per word for every type of translation depending on the field of specializatin.
What should I understand by unit fee? rate per segment? or VAT to be charged?

I would really appreciate your help,

L.G.F.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:31
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Minimum fee and unit fee Oct 29, 2009

Lucas González wrote:
If I am not wrong, minimum fee makes reference to my minimum rate per source or target word

"Minimum fee" normally refers to the very minimum price you charge per project. If you get a very small project, say 100 words, you will charge a minimum fee rather than 100 words × your word rate. In my case, the minimum fee is equivalent to 300 words.

In "unit fee," they might be letting you choose your own preferred "unit," i.e., source/target word, standard line, or standard page. I would write "EUR 0.xx per source word."

I am afraid I won't be able to help with the last one. I'd rather ask the client themselves.

HTH,

Daniel

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
How I see it Oct 29, 2009

- Minimum fee

The fee you would like to be paid for minimum jobs of just a couple of words, just to cover the time it takes to open the e-mail, process the file and send it. I have seen anything between 0 and 70 Euro here.

- Unit fee

Your normal rate per word, page, line, segment, ASCII byte, hour or whatever unit you can count translations in

- Average cost

Not sure about that one. Additional costs, e.g. for processing a PDF file? Colleagues, please shed some light on this.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
French to English
+ ...
My understanding Oct 29, 2009

By "minimum fee", I would understand the minimum fee you would invoice for any job. Suppose I'm asked to do a translation of 100 words, for example, and my hypothetical rate was €0.10 per word, I wouldn't charge on a word basis, but rather my minimum fee, say €30. That takes into account the fact that you still have admin costs associated with filing/invoicing small jobs and it wouldn't be worthwhile doing them for any less. You may choose not to set a minimum fee, of course! Unit fee would then be your price per word/line or whatever. Not sure about average cost, though.... I'd be tempted to leave that blank - surely there are far too many imponderables for you to specify an average?

Good luck!

Claire

P.S. The other postings weren't there when I replied - I'm glad we're all in agreement though!

[Edited at 2009-10-29 15:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unit fee per word or page

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search