how does one quote on audio transcriptions...
Thread poster: xxxBrandis

xxxBrandis
Local time: 11:29
English to German
+ ...
Nov 1, 2009

Hi!

I am receiving quite a few transcription offers, monolingual german and english etc., But I do not quote.- Does anyone have an idea about the catches involving transcription. I appreciate all help. Best regards, Brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-01 16:06 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-01 16:07 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Check this out Nov 1, 2009

http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/audio_-_en.html

... the last item there covers your question.

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
per source minute Nov 2, 2009

I usually charge per source minute, but I always ask for a sample in order to assess the difficulty of the job (how many different speakers? how fast do they speak?) and the quality of the material (was it registered in a professional studio or by an amateur? Can you hear clearly what is said, or does the background noise make it more difficult?).

With experience, you will know how many minutes you need to transcribe or translate one minute of good quality recording, but it is always better to make a test with difficult materials.

Once you know how long on average you need to transcribe one minute, it is easy to make a quote : just divide the amount you want to make per hour by the number of minutes you can transcribe per hour.

One more thing to consider : transcribing can be very tiring, you won't work as fast at the end of the day or after a couple of days...

http://geraldineoudin.com

xxxBrandis
Local time: 11:29
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
single speaker.. Nov 2, 2009

Hi! and dialects too. It sounds as though the speaker is some kind of executive dictating to his secretary. . An average rate a german secretary is today around €50,-, and how to recalculate into minutes., may €2,- or so. I feel target minute is makes more sense. Brandis

[Edited at 2009-11-02 09:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-02 10:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how does one quote on audio transcriptions...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search