non-paying client in great britain (ltd.)
Thread poster: Ursula Derx

Ursula Derx  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:22
Member (2005)
English to German
Nov 2, 2009

I am a translator based in Vienna, Austria. I have a client in Great Britain, an ltd., who owe me a lot of money.
My contact person is the general manager of this ltd.
It happened like this:
While I was still working on the first order, they sent more and more files, stating it's really urgent; finally I ended up with a volume I usually nevery would have accepted without advance payment.

My Austrian collection agent suggested to start an inland collection addressed to the general manager (who is an Austrian citizen and has an Austrian address). This resulted in partial payment, but the largest part of the amount is still open.

Since my collection agent would charge me for collection activities in Great Britain, I am now looking for a UK-based collection agency who would collect their own charges from the client (leaving me free of any risk).

Any suggestions?

What else should I do?

I am wondering whether I should file a complaint for defraud with the police.
Should I mention the client's company name and general manager's name in this forum? (it is not a proz-member)

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Advice Nov 2, 2009

Sorry to hear that, Ursula. According to government advice, you should contact a properly registered Solicitor based in the UK. Not a debt collection agency (you don't know whether the debt collection agency is reliable or not).

As a good starting point, here is the official UK government advice page on what to do. It also contains advice on how to find a Solicitor:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/CourtClaimsAndBankruptcy/DG_10023133

and here's another useful page (also an official UK government website):

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1074453392

[Edited at 2009-11-02 10:09 GMT]

Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
common experience Nov 2, 2009

Hi! Call your local border tax authorities. They shall regulate this. This had happened to me twice already. Best regards, Brandis

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Outsourcers not to be discussed in public fora Nov 2, 2009

Ursula Derx wrote:
I am wondering whether I should file a complaint for defraud with the police.
Should I mention the client's company name and general manager's name in this forum? (it is not a proz-member)

Grüß Gott, Ursula,
according to ProZ.com forum rules, we may not discuss outsourcers in public fora. But you can go to the BB and request to create a BB entry for this company/agency. The link is: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=add
And if this Austrian citizen is the same as the one I know from other sites, I can see some trouble ahead...

[Edited at 2009-11-02 09:39 GMT]

Ursula Derx  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2005)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
collection agency in UK Nov 2, 2009

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion! I entered the request to create a BB entry as you suggested. I never knew that you can do that!

I still hope to find a UK based collection agency for reasonable terms. I don't want to SPEND even more money....

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
As a first hint :) Nov 2, 2009

Ursula Derx wrote:
I still hope to find a UK based collection agency for reasonable terms. I don't want to SPEND even more money....

http://www.upmystreet.com/findmynearest/legal-and-financial/debt-collection-agencies-listings-in-uk.html

Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
not a job for collection agency.. Nov 2, 2009

Ursula Derx wrote:

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion! I entered the request to create a BB entry as you suggested. I never knew that you can do that!

Hi!If you a tax payer, your border tax authority is due to collect value on your behalf. Agencies cost you more, but still will have to report to the tax people. Brandis

Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Instruct a solicitor!!!!!!!!!!! Nov 2, 2009

Hi Ursula, greetings to levely Vienna!
You need to instruct a solicitor. A collection agency is of no help, I am afraid!
All the others are absolutely right.
Perhaps the Chamber of Commerce in Vienna might be able to give advice on how to find a good solicitor.
As you do not want to spend any more money on it you might be able to find a solicitor who is willing to accept a sort of a 'no collect no fee arrangement'! Some are willing to do that.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Job for the ESCC? Nov 2, 2009

The European Small Claims Court may be able to help you. See their site here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/judicialatlascivil/html/index_en.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

non-paying client in great britain (ltd.)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search