Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2009

Today, a translation agency (with a high blueboard rating) contacted me and wanted me to translate a section of a 17,000-word project by tomorrow for the rate of .04 euros per word. Sad, but nothing new here. The sender was also using a g-mail account, so I have no idea if they were the real agency or just impersonating them. At any rate, based on the rate and deadline, it was obvious that I would never be working for this company. Therefore, I sent them a reply asking if they had a non-free e-mail account and stating that I could not accept their project because of the crazy deadline and I stated my rate for non-rush work which was more than double the rate they were offering.

What happened was that the PM sent this e-mail to 100s of other translators with all of their e-mail addresses visible in the "send to" line and I accidentally hit the REPLY ALL button, thus informing all of this agency's translators that the rate is too low. Oops.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:06 GMT]

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
You did them a favor :-) Nov 4, 2009

You may have done the other addressees a favor!

Trudy

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
A fortuitous accident, I'd say. Nov 4, 2009

I'll wager 99% of those translators are wishing they were in a position to write a similar email and preparing their negotiating strategies for the next job.

Way to go, Jeff!

icon_biggrin.gif

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:31
English to Latvian
~ Nov 4, 2009

Maybe it was your subconscious mind telling you to hit the Reply All buttonicon_biggrin.gif

Likewise, I believe it was the right thing to do, but to stay professional, I think I would send another email message to all the recipients and explain the situation.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:14 GMT]

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stop the insanity! Nov 4, 2009

OMG: Now I am getting e-mails from the other translators who apparently think the job came from me, agreeing to these crazy terms. One person claims to be able to translate 7,000 words on a daily basis (7,000 words a day and she cannot even write a short e-mail without a mistake) and the other person is an attorney in the USA!:

"Hello Jeff,

I am available and please send me the deadline and one file as example ... my daily output is 6.000-7.000 words for Ge-En.

For any other question pls contact me."

"Hi Jeff:

I'll be free starting next Monday.

Kind regards"
XXXXXX
Attorney At Law, DAAD Certificate in German Law"

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:18 GMT]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:31
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
I'll have to remember this one Nov 4, 2009

For the PM to send a mail with all addresses openly displayed is pretty amazing in the first place. It's not rocket science to hide recipient addresses. Perhaps your mistake will be a learning experience for the PM. I'll have to try this myself sometime for laughs, though I'll be careful to set up a spam catcher mail account to deal with all the people aspiring to subcontracting at 2 cents per word.

Accidents happen, but I think this was more in the "happy accident" category. I'm sure you'll be entertained by the results for a while.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:31
French to German
+ ...
Accidentally on purpose? Nov 4, 2009

I don't know about the configuration of your e-mail account, Jeff, but in mine I have to select either Reply or Reply to all before starting to compose the e-mail. So I guess this error came as an accident on purpose or a subconscious glitch (thanks, Granpa Sigmund!), IOW a much appreciated community service.icon_smile.gif
Except if you start receiving (your last post appeared as I was typing my reply) replies from "translators" who don't even care to read the contents of messages as long as they understand there is a job at stake... Les risques du métier?

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:37 GMT]

Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
Nice Nov 4, 2009

Funny that people are now replying to you... Although probably not so funny for you. Still, can't people see you were replying? Especially since you told you didn't want to be part of this.

At any rate, if the Agency didn't take the time to send all these addresses in blind carbon copy, that's just too bad for them, out of 100s of replies, this is bound to happen.

Erica Salvaneschi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
There! Nov 4, 2009

you can start your own brand new activity as an outsourcer now!icon_biggrin.gif

Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 03:31
German to English
+ ...
The Marvels of Modern Technology Nov 4, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

OMG: Now I am getting e-mails from the other translators who apparently think the job came from me, agreeing to these crazy terms.

Amazing how quickly word spreads, isn’t it?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Well... Nov 4, 2009

...at least I know now that also colleagues working with English as a target language are offered insulting rates. I thought this problem was only with the Italian language as a target...This does not make me very happy anyway though...

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:31
English to Latvian
...a bit off-topic... Nov 4, 2009

Erica Salvaneschi wrote:
you can start your own brand new activity as an outsourcer now!icon_biggrin.gif

... and sell this project for 0.02 EUR per wordicon_biggrin.gif I believe you'll still get a plenty of offers.

Kevin Lossner wrote:
For the PM to send a mail with all addresses openly displayed is pretty amazing in the first place.

Actually, as odd as it might seem, there is an agency I am collaborating with whose PMs do this all the time: they put all the recipients in the To line...icon_smile.gif Yeah, it's indeed quite amazing, but I guess I've got used to it.

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Serious breach of data protection legislation Nov 4, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

What happened was that the PM sent this e-mail to 100s of other translators with all of their e-mail addresses visible in the "send to" line and I accidentally hit the REPLY ALL button, thus informing all of this agency's translators that the rate is too low. Oops. [Edited at 2009-11-04 20:06 GMT]

Don't know about other jurisdictions, but in the EU the any company/organisation collecting personal data has to be registered with the relevant regulator. This includes registering the person ultimately responsible, for example, the head of compliance. For serious breaches, the ultimate penalty is generally imprisonment.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response from another translator Nov 4, 2009

Another translator sent a REPLY ALL message to the vendor and to all the other translators:

Dear XXX:

No respectable translator would work for that price, and if someone did, I would seriously doubt their expertise and competence as a translator. ESPECIALLY not for a rush job!! It's like anything else: if you want quality work and deliver a good product to the client, you can't pay your vendors peanuts!

Please do not contact me again unless you have a project that pays 10-15 cents per source word."

WAY TO GO!!!

[Edited at 2009-11-04 22:32 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
German to Spanish
+ ...
Was I wrong to do this? Nov 4, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Today, a translation agency (with a high blueboard rating) contacted me and wanted me to translate a section of a 17,000-word project by tomorrow for the rate of .04 euros per word. Sad, but nothing new here. The sender was also using a g-mail account, so I have no idea if they were the real agency or just impersonating them. At any rate, based on the rate and deadline, it was obvious that I would never be working for this company. Therefore, I sent them a reply asking if they had a non-free e-mail account and stating that I could not accept their project because of the crazy deadline and I stated my rate for non-rush work which was more than double the rate they were offering.

What happened was that the PM sent this e-mail to 100s of other translators with all of their e-mail addresses visible in the "send to" line and I accidentally hit the REPLY ALL button, thus informing all of this agency's translators that the rate is too low. Oops.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:06 GMT]

Absolutely no, it is good to know who is dumping the prices in the translation market...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-04 22:54 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Was I wrong to do this?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search