Thread poster: Emilie Fahlenkamp

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
English to Danish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

Hello,

I have only ever given a quote for transcription based on recording time. What would you quote a client who wants a rate per word for transcription, and subsequent translation? If the translation rate is x per word, is the transcription rate per word 1/2 x, 2x, or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Emilie.

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need to calculate... Nov 5, 2009

I have been mulling over the same question. If you've transcribed before, I suggest looking at the number of words you wrote and comparing it with the length of the audio. I just did this and was shocked to see I had transcribed/translated almost 6000 words for a 50 minute audio. That was when I realized I had been grossly undercharging by quoting per audio minute.

You may want to have different rates for monolingual transcription and transcription into a second language.

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Paty

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Work backward from your hourly rate Nov 5, 2009

If you have transcribed before, figure out how long it took you to do a transcription of xxxx words. That should give you an average number of words per hour you can transcribe. Use that with your hourly rate to arrive at a per-word charge.

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working backward.. Nov 6, 2009

from my hourly rate seems to make the most sense, I will go back to a previous transcription and try to figure it out that way.

Thanks to both of you for your advice!

Emilie

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A matter of risk Nov 6, 2009

No need to repeat it here, check #5 (the last part) at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/audio_-_en.html

Using the same per-word rate in comparison to a playing time rate, if the speech is by Tom Peters you'll make a bundle; if it's by the late Peter Drucker, you'll lose money.

While we are on the subject, check this out too:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/palestras_br-1.html

If the recording is of the "mission: impossible" type, it may take you much longer, and result in a much lower income for too many (incomprehensible)s on your transcript.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per word fee for transcription?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search