Thread poster: Emilie Fahlenkamp

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
English to Danish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

Hello,

I have only ever given a quote for transcription based on recording time. What would you quote a client who wants a rate per word for transcription, and subsequent translation? If the translation rate is x per word, is the transcription rate per word 1/2 x, 2x, or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Emilie.

Direct link Reply with quote

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need to calculate... Nov 5, 2009

I have been mulling over the same question. If you've transcribed before, I suggest looking at the number of words you wrote and comparing it with the length of the audio. I just did this and was shocked to see I had transcribed/translated almost 6000 words for a 50 minute audio. That was when I realized I had been grossly undercharging by quoting per audio minute.

You may want to have different rates for monolingual transcription and transcription into a second language.

Hope this helps

Paty

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Work backward from your hourly rate Nov 5, 2009

If you have transcribed before, figure out how long it took you to do a transcription of xxxx words. That should give you an average number of words per hour you can transcribe. Use that with your hourly rate to arrive at a per-word charge.

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working backward.. Nov 6, 2009

from my hourly rate seems to make the most sense, I will go back to a previous transcription and try to figure it out that way.

Thanks to both of you for your advice!

Emilie

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A matter of risk Nov 6, 2009

No need to repeat it here, check #5 (the last part) at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/audio_-_en.html

Using the same per-word rate in comparison to a playing time rate, if the speech is by Tom Peters you'll make a bundle; if it's by the late Peter Drucker, you'll lose money.

While we are on the subject, check this out too:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/palestras_br-1.html

If the recording is of the "mission: impossible" type, it may take you much longer, and result in a much lower income for too many (incomprehensible)s on your transcript.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per word fee for transcription?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search