Claiming on professional liability insurance
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2009

I know we've had discussions before about whether it's necessary, but as far as I know nobody has asked this question:
Have you, or has anyone you know, ever made a claim under a professional liability policy for translators?
Just curious...

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Is that what it's for? Nov 6, 2009

You mean there are cases when they pay you? Maybe more than you've paid them?
No, I don't believe it!

No, I've never made a claim on this insurance, nor on most of my other insurance policies, although the car insurance has come in handy a couple of times when I've had a bit of a whoopsie. Isn't that the way it normally goes? i.e. we put our money into a black hole.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Doesn't that cover professional blunders? Nov 7, 2009

philgoddard wrote:

I know we've had discussions before about whether it's necessary, but as far as I know nobody has asked this question:
Have you, or has anyone you know, ever made a claim under a professional liability policy for translators?
Just curious...

To quote John McEnroe, you can't be serious. You are asking people to admit that they got into trouble by mistranslating a text or causing some other serious issue, were then sued and had to have their insurance kick in and pay the damages. Like when a legal doc is mistranslated and the party ends up in court or when a medical doc is mistranslated and the person ends up in the morgue.
Do you really expect anyone to admit to this here in a forum that shows up all over the www?
Isn't it like asking doctors how often they've had to use their malpractice insurance??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Claiming on professional liability insurance

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search