PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:14
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 11, 2009

Hi friends,

I am a freelance translator of Hindi, Nepali and Sanskrit languages.

I have seen many jobs asking for discount for repetitions as they feel that those repetitions make translator's work easier. To a great extent for novice translators, yes, they make the job of translation simpler for them as they get meaning of any word (simple or a difficult one), and they have to play word-puzzle game for a while and provide an immature translation.

But, when it comes to Hindi, we have a different sentence-structure to use.
We use 'Subject'+'Object'+'Verb'.

When MT translates, it doesn't correct grammar. I personally prefer to delete all translation provided by MT and translate the original text afresh to retain Hindi language's originality with correct grammar used. So, I term such jobs as 're-translation' rather than a help, which makes life more uncomfortable. It is something like, you write a phrase or two in go..gl translate page, it comes out with horrible translation.

For instance, I want to translate "Train will arrive in a minute or so."
into Hindi via free online translation, it'll come up with
ट्रेन या तो एक मिनट में आ जाएगा. (train ya to ek minute me aa jayega)
The correct translation goes below.
ट्रेन एक आध-मिनट में आ जाएगी। (train ek-adh minute me aa jayegi)

Here,for me, if revising and correcting the wrong translation given by MT will consume 30 seconds, then translating it afresh won't consume more than 20 seconds!

While doing corrections, I have to
1. check grammar and restructure the whole sentence.
2. Have to think for the suitable words in Hindi for the horribly translated words sometimes.

It's easy for me to read the source text, think for 5-10 secs and type the hindi translation. It would be more effective than the correction of translation that I would have done otherwise.

So, you can notice that it's like we are expected to provide discount for extra time that we have to devote. For me, it's not justice for Hindi translators like me. What do you think? Please share!

Regards,
PRAKAASH

[Edited at 2009-11-11 01:29 GMT]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Difference between CAT tool and MT Nov 11, 2009

Hi,

I might just be confused, but as far as I know discounts for repetitions are only asked for when you use CAT tools. What you're describing is the result of translating something using an MT tool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use an MT tool, you just get a translation, which you have to post-edit, whereas when you use a CAT tool, *the (human) translator* provides the translation, which, if it is accurate, does not necessarily have to be edited afterwards.

Hope I haven't confused things even furthericon_wink.gif

Have a good day,
Niraja

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Partial Agreement with Niraja Nov 11, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use an MT tool, you just get a translation, which you have to post-edit, whereas when you use a CAT tool, *the (human) translator* provides the translation, which, if it is accurate, does not necessarily have to be edited afterwards.

But what about instances where contextual changes have to be made? The CAT may have a 100% match and yet the translation has to be post edited, quite some times, even dictated by the glossary provided by the client (not a TM of course!)icon_smile.gif

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for correcting confusion and directing this conversation towards right direction Nov 11, 2009

Umang Dholabhai wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use an MT tool, you just get a translation, which you have to post-edit, whereas when you use a CAT tool, *the (human) translator* provides the translation, which, if it is accurate, does not necessarily have to be edited afterwards.

But what about instances where contextual changes have to be made? The CAT may have a 100% match and yet the translation has to be post edited, quite some times, even dictated by the glossary provided by the client (not a TM of course!)icon_smile.gif

When I say MT, it should be different than CAT tools for sure. Thanks for correcting it Nirajaji. Umang Dholabhaiji has corrected the same stuff by mentioning about required contextual changes in CAT tools. Thank you!

I pointed this stuff because I saw a job posting asking for 90% discount for repetitions. Now, it should mean all sorts of repetitions whether 100% or 70%, I feel so.
What do you feel, is it justified?
Your opinion again please!icon_smile.gif

Regards,
PRAKAASH

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
A "repetition" means a 100% identical segment Nov 11, 2009

PRAKAASH wrote:

I pointed this stuff because I saw a job posting asking for 90% discount for repetitions. Now, it should mean all sorts of repetitions whether 100% or 70%, I feel so.
What do you feel, is it justified?
Your opinion again please!icon_smile.gif

Regards,
PRAKAASH

Hi Prakaash,

If it says "90% discount for repetitions":

Firstly, it means for entirely identical segments.
Secondly, in my opinion, it does not mean either that 90% of the text is repeated or that a 90% discount on the total price is wished. I believe it must mean that there are some repetitions in the text (number not given), and that the client does not wish to pay for these repeated segments, but is willing to pay 10% of the normal price for each one that occurs, just because they have to at least be passed over, or clicked on, or whatever, in the process of translating, too.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Astrid

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:44
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
100% match means exact match Nov 11, 2009

Umang Dholabhai wrote:

I am not sure I understand you here, if the match is 100% the phrases are identical, not similar, identical in all aspects, so even if there is a change in context how can the translation change? Even when context changes that usually might affect a word or two but I have yet to see two phrases that are identical and do not mean the same, though I admit I don't know anything about your language combination.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

discount for repetitions

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search