Rates for US English Editing: Reasonable?
Thread poster: FrenchPhD

FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:58
French to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2009

Hello all,

I've recently been offered a rate of US $ 25 / 1000 words for editing (not just proofing, but improving) business texts by a client in California.

This strikes me as a low-ball rate. However, they are willing to go "as high as $ 35 / 1000 words" for the most difficult academic texts.

What do you think? Should I accept this rate, or ask for a better one? I've been editing for 13 years, and have a PhD.

Many thanks,

Kon

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
French to English
+ ...
Low Nov 11, 2009

Hello Kon,

both rates look decidedly low to me, especially if they want you to "improve" it for them.

Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 11, 2009

I appreciate your input.

Jurandir Souza
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Otimo Nov 11, 2009

Aqui, no Brasil, o preço de uma tradução varia de R$ 18 a 25,00, a lauda com 1400 caracteres (equivalente a US$ 9 a 13,00).

eu penso que ai... está bom de mais...nehhh

kkkkk

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto. Or Xerox, etc. Nov 11, 2009

For editing, it would be better to arrange an hourly rate, since it's more of a time-based activity than a per-increment one. And I agree with Rachel, Kon -- the rate's pretty low, though I also know some US company PMs have complained to me that this is the budget they have to work with now ...

Suggest an hourly rate and you'll be much happier.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Hourly rate Nov 11, 2009

I would also suggest an hourly rate instead. I charge $45 US, have over ten years experience and no Ph.D., and I believe my rate is average. There are, of course, people who charge more and people who charge less.
Edited to add that I forgot to say that I work mostly with US clients.

[Edited at 2009-11-11 17:18 GMT]

Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 11, 2009

all for your input. Much appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for US English Editing: Reasonable?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search