+ ...
Nov 23, 2009

Hi everybody,

Being paid through Paypal is not free anymore (far from that):
... See more
Hi everybody,

Being paid through Paypal is not free anymore (far from that):
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/paypal-adds-new-fees-with-no-notice/
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/paypal-responds-to-customer-uproar-over-new-unannounced-fees/

Some months ago, you could still have a "Personal" account, which allowed you to be paid as long as your client had a PayPal account (or opened one for that occasion), and this was 100% free. Direct payment through credit card was reserved to "Premium" and "Business" account types. They kept the 3 types of accounts, but have completely changed their policy with regard to "Personal" accounts. Now, for personal accounts, you allegedly have a 3.4% commission (which in my case turned out to be closer to 4%).

I also used moneybookers.com. AFAIK, receiving funds is always free with them, unless you directly accept credit cards (merchant accounts). You just have a fixed €1.80 tp pay whenever you transfer money to your bank account. The point is that the buyer has a 1% fee, and of course an agency will be reluctant to use it as long as paying through PayPal is 100% free.
So I told myself, rather than giving away 4% to PayPal, why not propose to your client a 2% discount if he agrees to pay through moneybookers ? Then at last he'll spare 1%, and you'll spare 2%.

What do you think of it?
Do you know about more clever solutions? Google Checkout?

Alexandre Oberlin
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Please, read this thread Nov 23, 2009

You don't have to pay these charges.
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/151223-paypal_and_e_cheques.html

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:11
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting, only sender seems to need a confirmed PayPal account... Nov 24, 2009

Andrea Re wrote:

You don't have to pay these charges.
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/151223-paypal_and_e_cheques.html

Thank you very much Andrea for this valuable hint.
If I understand correctly, the only drawback I see, besides the longer delay, is that the sender must have a confirmed bank account declared on PayPal, which means he has authorized PayPal to withdraw money from it. Actually this is something I am not sure everybody is willing to do... Personally the bank account I use on PayPal is verified but not confirmed.
But it is worth a try in any case.

Cheers,

AO

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Well, I don't see where the problem might be... Nov 24, 2009

Do you think they would be afraid of a scam or phishing? The same would apply to the card you use in Paypal to make a payment. Besides, I have never heard of problems like that with PP (which means nothing. Tomorrow we could all be attacked, reason why with PP I use a bank account that is always empty, except when I need to do something on PP).

Andrea

PS

Besides, if the client is not willing to do what we ask, he can pay the charges. It is all the same by m
... See more
Do you think they would be afraid of a scam or phishing? The same would apply to the card you use in Paypal to make a payment. Besides, I have never heard of problems like that with PP (which means nothing. Tomorrow we could all be attacked, reason why with PP I use a bank account that is always empty, except when I need to do something on PP).

Andrea

PS

Besides, if the client is not willing to do what we ask, he can pay the charges. It is all the same by me:)
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:11
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirm PayPal account? Nov 27, 2009

Hi Andrea,

My main concern is that they'd take some unexpected fee on who knows which occasion. They did not warn when they changed their policy about receiving money I'm not alone to have noticed this, see the links I gave in the initial message of this thread). Last week however I was warned in due form of a new policy, allegedly starting from January 21st 2010, including a 3.9% fee on money reception for France and most other countries. This is probably a consequence of massive
... See more
Hi Andrea,

My main concern is that they'd take some unexpected fee on who knows which occasion. They did not warn when they changed their policy about receiving money I'm not alone to have noticed this, see the links I gave in the initial message of this thread). Last week however I was warned in due form of a new policy, allegedly starting from January 21st 2010, including a 3.9% fee on money reception for France and most other countries. This is probably a consequence of massive user protests. They just forgot to mention that the "new" commission was in fact already applied...

Concerning the use of an empty bank account, this is not 100% safe, because your bank might well pay and then ask for fees and interests...

Cheers,

AO
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to PayPal

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »