Required to send invoices on a specific date only
Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:38
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 24, 2009

Hi proz friends,

Hereby, I am sending you a sample of an email sent by the representative of an Indian agency.

"Dear ........,
Please we advised that the invoice needs to be sent on 30th of every month. Please do not send any invoice on any other date, it will not be considered.
I have cancelled the latest invoice received from you. Kindly sent one consolidated invoice on 30th for all the work done in the month."

Any comments on practice of consolidated invoices, grammar used and the attitude shown here by cancelling the invoice without translator's consent?

: PRAKAASH

[Edited at 2009-11-24 03:43 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-24 08:42 GMT]


 

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 23:08
English to French
+ ...
!! Nov 24, 2009

Hello,

Make it clear that it unacceptable...


And send the invoice on 30th so that they pay you if worse comes to worst than never do something else for them ever again...

Regards,


 

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:08
German to English
No big deal. Send one invoice on the 30th Nov 24, 2009

I assume that you're peeved that the client didn't inform you regarding the invoicing policy. Send one invoice on the 30th for all work done that month.

What do you care about the grammar, etc. if they pay you?


 

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:08
French to German
+ ...
Ridiculous... Nov 24, 2009

...IMHO. Why should it be such a big deal for them if you send the invoice on the 24th, for example? They could still pay x days end of month so it would not matter if the invoice was sent on the 15th or 30th, but this is simply ridiculous. At least I can't think of any good reason why they would have to implement such an odd rule.

Send your invoice on the 30th anyway. Personally, I don't think I would be very keen on working for them again ...


 

Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 01:08
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Wow Nov 24, 2009

I want to be able to just cancel all the invoices when I don't want to pay up! What a nice practice.

Agencies have their invoicing practices and they sometimes come as an unpleasent surprise when the work is done. I have a good client with a practice similar to this, I send them one invoice per month by a certain date. But say I forget to send it and it's late, they don't just CANCEL it!

That may be legal in India, not here...


 

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hmm "we advised"? Did they really inform you? Nov 24, 2009

Hello,

well,

Please we advised that the invoice needs to be sent on 30th of every month.


I seem to understand that they had already told you to send invoices only on the 30th - how do they go with February ?icon_biggrin.gif So, end of the month ought to be called.

Do I understand it correctly? If so, well, you ought not to have sent the invoice before that date - not to run into an useless waste of time.

It is not odd to be asked to provide one cumulative invoice per month, but I accept it only if I work regularly for an agency and I get several jobs a month. Some other agencies say no more than on invoice per week. I care for one thing though, to be paid at the agreed termsicon_wink.gif

What I can't accept is the deleting of the invoice. I can't tick off any invoice no. at will and if I have already sent the following invoices I can't play around with numbers. I'd say that for this time they 'd have to accept more than one invoice, re-sent it at the end of the month.

Personally, I prefer end-of-month invoicing and payment instead of invoices and payment for each separate job. Some of my clients prefer an invoice for each job and to be sent immediately after completion, that is there is always an invoice slipping thru out of several a month and I invest quite some time running after my accounting and keeping track of what is still open.

As said, whatever, but that they pay.

Giuliana


 

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
The date on the invoice Nov 24, 2009

Yes, some of my clients require only ONE invoice at the end of the month summarising all the jobs done for them that month (and one wants it sent both by email and by post). It's nothing unusual. Of course, it's the DATE on the invoice that's important, I think, not the date when the invoice was actually sent or received. After all, the 30th or 31st of the month may fall at a weekend when their (or your) office may be closed. So regardless of when you actually dispatch the summarising invoice, date it the last day of the month concerned. Am I wrong?
Best wishes,
Jenny


 

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:08
English to Polish
+ ...
agreement Nov 24, 2009

Are you working without a contract?

 

milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
German to English
consolidated invoice Nov 24, 2009

It is acceptable practice to send consolidated invoice at the end of the month for the work done during the month. However cancellation of invoice unilaterally is not done

 

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:38
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all comments Nov 24, 2009

Dear friends,

I will send an invoice on 30th surely. Regarding 'cancellation of invoice', it was something that raised my eyebrows. However, taking a positive note of their previous quick payment, I calmed down as payment is something which is of utmost importance for me.
I am working without a contract at the moment however I wouldn't like to work for them for too long due to some other reasons. Even right now also, if I am free and at leisure, I accept their job and do the same.

Regards,
PRAKAASH


 

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 01:08
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agree Nov 24, 2009

Kevin Fulton wrote:

I assume that you're peeved that the client didn't inform you regarding the invoicing policy. Send one invoice on the 30th for all work done that month.

What do you care about the grammar, etc. if they pay you?



I agree. If you object to the practice, don't work with these people. Otherwise, comply with the instruction. The important thing is that they pay on time.


 

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:08
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
invoices Nov 24, 2009

I have a company that asks me to issue the invoice and send it to them until 1st of the month. It is not such a big deal in my opinion. I issue the invoice between 25-29 and sent it by express post so it arrives on the 1st.

 

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
one invoice per month Nov 24, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Yes, some of my clients require only ONE invoice at the end of the month summarising all the jobs done for them that month (and one wants it sent both by email and by post). It's nothing unusual. Of course, it's the DATE on the invoice that's important, I think, not the date when the invoice was actually sent or received. After all, the 30th or 31st of the month may fall at a weekend when their (or your) office may be closed. So regardless of when you actually dispatch the summarising invoice, date it the last day of the month concerned. Am I wrong?
Best wishes,
Jenny



I can't see anything wrong with the practice of asking subcons to submit one invoice per month on the last day. For small agencies it streamlines the admin and allows them to operate more efficiently, among other things vis a vis their subcontractors.


 

Victoria Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Consolidated invoices Nov 24, 2009

I have a few clients who ask me to send just one invoice per month, but they all say that it must be sent 'at the end of the month', not on a specific date, and they all give a few days, say until the 4th of the following month, for the invoice to be received.

All of MY clients who adopt such a practice are timely payers (which is why, or perhaps because, they receive all invoices for a given month at the time they state, i.e. on their terms) so I am happy to go along with it. It also means that 4 or 5 smaller jobs will all come under one payment, which saves you having to chase up smaller amounts every week or couple of weeks, so it cuts down on your admin that end too.

As soon as I do a job for an agency requesting a single invoice at the end of the month I make a note in my diary to send the invoice on that day and I don't have any problems with doing it this way at all.

Vicky


 

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Bingo Nov 24, 2009

Victoria Burns wrote:

I have a few clients who ask me to send just one invoice per month, but they all say that it must be sent 'at the end of the month', not on a specific date, and they all give a few days, say until the 4th of the following month, for the invoice to be received.

All of MY clients who adopt such a practice are timely payers (which is why, or perhaps because, they receive all invoices for a given month at the time they state, i.e. on their terms) so I am happy to go along with it. It also means that 4 or 5 smaller jobs will all come under one payment, which saves you having to chase up smaller amounts every week or couple of weeks, so it cuts down on your admin that end too.

As soon as I do a job for an agency requesting a single invoice at the end of the month I make a note in my diary to send the invoice on that day and I don't have any problems with doing it this way at all.

Vicky



That's exactly right, Victoria.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Required to send invoices on a specific date only

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search