Prices going down..? Eng-Fin
Thread poster: xxxH Saarelaine
xxxH Saarelaine
Finland
Local time: 23:20
English to Finnish
Dec 14, 2009

Hi all!

I've received few job offers,whome fees have been, hmm how should i put it...a joke?
I also took a look from translation job boards job offers, there were also jobs which fees are 0,05USD/word.

Does someone really agree to do jobs with so small fees?

0,05USD is only 0,03EUR, and in Finland living costs are high.

Is that 0,05USD current average price per translated word, or is it just coincidence, that i've pumped into those prices?

[Edited at 2009-12-14 07:58 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not uncommon. Dec 14, 2009

0.05 USD is not 0.03 EUR. You have to deduce transaction costs, so that you almost work for free. On this site, you will often find offers such as these.
Perhaps the result of the fact that the US-economy is bankrupt and can only be kept afloat by printing dollars, 2 trillion of them.

tronni  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
Re: Prices going down..? Eng-Fin Dec 15, 2009

You get often low offers like that in Proz. They do not reflect the general status of market in the US, you should be paid much better rates than that if you are qualified. If I were you I would start marketing myself in the sector you are interested in (law/medicine/finance/technology?). Also, consider joining the ATA if you haven't already. Networking is the key here.

Tapani

xxxH Saarelaine
Finland
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Prices going down..? Eng-Fin Dec 15, 2009

I don't do job with so low prices, my time is way too valuable. I was just curious to see is this general, or are some agencies just "knocking the ice with a stick".

And i was also wondering, does someone actually agree fees under any reasonable minimums. But nice to know, that i'm not the one who has wrong idea about the pricing.

Also it's weird, that though you reply friendly, but firm, that you don't do jobs under XXX per word, still some people try to bargain. huh.

But i'm going to keep my line, otherwise i may as well start working for free.

pietervertaler
Netherlands
Local time: 22:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Finnish is worth much more Dec 21, 2009

[quote]H Saarelainen wrote:

5 dollarcents per word for an English - Finnish translation? That's totally absurd. You could easily ask for 12 - 13 cts per word. Remember, unlike Spanish and English and a few other languages, you don't need to fear for competition from low-cost countries. And there can't be too many of you Finnish translators around to start with! And yes, you SHOULD take living costs and what you pay in taxes into account! Better spend some time sipping coffee with a friend than to work at such ridiculous rates!

xxxH Saarelaine
Finland
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
I think Dec 21, 2009

so too. But apparently these agencies get someone to work for free, i noticed that few job notifications, where offered rate were 0,05USD, from job board is closed.

I don't believe that i could have 12-13cts/word, i'm not very experienced translator yet. But maby after another year or two in translation industry, i have enough confidence to ask over 10cts/word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices going down..? Eng-Fin

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search