How much to charge for repeat words
Thread poster: gdesai
gdesai  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
German to English
Dec 16, 2009

Is there information available on rate to be charged for repeat words in a text.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:39
French to English
segments Dec 16, 2009

Repeated "words" are not usually discounted. Imagine if a client wanted a discount for each instance of "and".

Entire segments that are repeated can be discounted. Personally, I only grant a discount when there is a certain minimum percentage of repeats, I generally charge 30% of my normal rate for repeat segments. For a highly repetitive document, for example 60% repetitions, I might consider a deeper discount, especially when there are no formatting concerns involved.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Charge double! Dec 16, 2009

Repetition is boring and leads to mental fatigue and other undesirable conditions. Therefore a healthy premium charge is called for.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Kevin - I love it Dec 16, 2009

A great idea - we should charge on the basis of how boring the job is!!

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Long-time practice Dec 16, 2009

David Wright wrote:
... we should charge on the basis of how boring the job is!!

That has been a factor in rate calculation for a long time

xxxGrayson Morr  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
The same rate as for unique words Dec 16, 2009

Some words are inherently worth more than others. It takes me a half second to translate "het" ("the"), for example, but perhaps thirty minutes of research to translate "afpakbunker" (which is not a standard Dutch dictionary word, is specific to an industry, and may be any of several mechanical parts in an assembly line system; which one is what all that research helps me determine). I don't charge the customer € 20 for "afpakbunker," nor do I discount easy or repeated words.

That said, as Lori pointed out, if there are whole chunks of text that are identical, then you could cut and paste, which would save you mental effort and physical time. (Or you could use something like TRADOS, which I do not.) Or you could decide a client who sent you the same text in duplicate, peppered here and there, apparently wants to pay for that text twice.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Repetitions Dec 16, 2009

Words/sentences do not all take the same amount of time and effort to translate. We charge by the word for the sake of convenience and your final bill should reflect NOT how many words the document contains x your per-word rate, but rather the amount of time and effort you extended on the job. With agency clients where we must use a word count, sometimes you lose money on more difficult projects, but you can make it up on easier ones.

If you want to grant a discount for large portions of repeated text that you copy/paste and edit (if necessary), you should discount a portion of the word count (20%-50%) based on the difficultly of the text so that the final invoiced amount reflects what the job is worth. Usually, the client who is not expecting a discount (because they cannot read the language and did not know there were any repetitions) is quite happy with this. Sometimes working without a CAT tool is better because you can decide how much of a discount (if any) to grant in each individual case at the end of the job.

gdesai wrote:

Is there information available on rate to be charged for repeat words in a text.

[Edited at 2009-12-16 21:58 GMT]

xxxGrayson Morr  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Good point Dec 17, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

(because they cannot read the language and did not know there were any repetitions)

99.9% of my clients are native in the source language, so it didn't occur to me in my cheeky comment above that a client may not realize a text contains significant repetitions. In hindsight, that's probably different for other language pairs, and repetitive text doesn't always indicate a lazy, sloppy client who can't be bothered to select exactly what he wants to have translated. Thanks for pointing that out, Jeff.

That said, if the client *does* read the source language and *does not* strip out repeated text, PHP code, HTML code, and other assorted padding, then he's asking the translator to do that work for him, which IMHO is billable work.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
How much to charge for REPEATED sentences Dec 17, 2009

sorry, just passing by;

gdesai, we translate phrases, not words. as far as I can see, nobody of the colleagues went that far in explaining it, most surely because this is a most common point.

despite most CAT-s would count repeated words, the repetitions' and fuzzy matches' count is based on segments-phrases.

somewhere and sometimes, but not under the rainbow, you'll encounter clients asking discount for repeated words. send them an example of the possible work output, for approval, so, if they disapprove, tell them that the output came from a GameBoy machine.

dragomir

gdesai wrote:

Aradai Pardo Martínez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:39
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Repeated words Dec 17, 2009

[somewhere and sometimes, but not under the rainbow, you'll encounter clients asking discount for repeated words.
dragomir ]

I wish it was only every now and then, but I see it more and more often!

It is absurd to invest so much time and money in buying and learning to use a CAT tool in order to be able to make our own work cheaper, isn't it?

[Edited at 2009-12-17 17:05 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
the truth comes in blows Dec 17, 2009

well, i remember well this phrase from "henderson, the rain king", a novel by saul bellow, while henderson was chopping wood, by his very own choice; he could avoid doing it, but he desired a change.
not necessarily, a translator needs such a risk of changing, since he/she is a soft-natured person.
but, some sober reasoning like yours, is not useless, aradai.

dragomir

Aradai Pardo M wrote:

[somewhere and sometimes, but not under the rainbow, you'll encounter clients asking discount for repeated words.
dragomir ]

I wish it was only every now and then, but I see it more and more often!

It is absurd to invest so much time and money in buying and learning to use a CAT tool in order to be able to make our own work cheaper, isn't it?

[Edited at 2009-12-17 17:05 GMT]

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Concrete example Dec 19, 2009

I think you're asking because would like to apply to an offer made yesterday on Proz in several languages. I saw it as well, and didn't apply, because I didn't like the tone of this offer.
For the reasons that have already been stated, no one gives discounts for repeated words. But one may give discounts for repeated sentences or paragraphs.

The above paragraph contains 63 words. If I had to translate it and I would charge, let's say, 0.10 EUR per source word, I would earn 6,3 EUR. Now if I don't charge anything for repeated words, I would be left with 49 words and would earn only 4,9 EUR: a loss of 1,4 EUR in just 4 lines. Now if I gave a discount and charge only 0.05 EUR per repeated word, I would earn 5,6 EUR and still loose 0.7 EUR for this short passage.

Imagine how much I would loose on several thousand words...

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Concrete example #2 Dec 19, 2009

I once replied to a job posting, in which the outsourcer wrote about some 1,000 words containing 400 repeated ones and wanted a rebate on those. In my reply, I said that such a low volume (i. e. 1,000 words) would not be eligible for rebates anyway. My offer was never answered - I just wonder why....

In my book, this is quite the same as being addressed as a man when you are a woman and vice versa (yes, it happened not later than yesterday): the outsourcer makes assumptions - it is our duty to disabuse them, that is: if we could be interested in a professional relationship with them.

[Edited at 2009-12-19 06:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for repeat words

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search