https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/15371-transcription_translation_dubbing_of_video_urgent_please.html

Transcription/Translation/Dubbing of Video - Urgent Please
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2003

Hi.

A client of mine called me up and asked me to give him a ballpark figure on what it might cost a client of his (i.e., I don't know these people) to take a videotape in German (19 minutes), have it transcribed onto paper (he's not sure a script is available, but if it is, this wouldn't be necessary), then have that translated into English, and then dubbed in English by a professional sounding person.

I have no clue as I am a Spanish translator.

Could som
... See more
Hi.

A client of mine called me up and asked me to give him a ballpark figure on what it might cost a client of his (i.e., I don't know these people) to take a videotape in German (19 minutes), have it transcribed onto paper (he's not sure a script is available, but if it is, this wouldn't be necessary), then have that translated into English, and then dubbed in English by a professional sounding person.

I have no clue as I am a Spanish translator.

Could someone help me out? I was able to ballpark him $3 per double spaced page on the transcription and about $0.13/word on the translation, but I had no clue about the dubbing.

Are my rates even close? Does anyone have a ballpark on a per-word for the transcription?

Thanks so much.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Be careful! Oct 30, 2003

Transciption can take a LONG time. $3/page is much too low, as it would easily take you an hour to transcribe a page. I believe most people who perform this service charge per minute of tape.

Dubbing has hidden expenses: you have to pay for the voice talent (duh!), but there's the studio charge as well. This includes the time it takes to record the voice-over (and don't believe that it can be done in one take: there's a funny noise in the microphone, or the voice talent sneezes, etc
... See more
Transciption can take a LONG time. $3/page is much too low, as it would easily take you an hour to transcribe a page. I believe most people who perform this service charge per minute of tape.

Dubbing has hidden expenses: you have to pay for the voice talent (duh!), but there's the studio charge as well. This includes the time it takes to record the voice-over (and don't believe that it can be done in one take: there's a funny noise in the microphone, or the voice talent sneezes, etc.) as well as the time it takes to make sure that the tape is technically acceptable.

Doubtless the client will ask you to coordinate the talent, studio and other production-related matters, so make sure you get paid for that time as well.

Costs of studio time and voice talent vary from locality to locality, so you'll have to do some research regarding prevailing conditions in your area.
Hope this points you in the right direction,
Kevin
Collapse

AndrzejwBuffalo
AndrzejwBuffalo
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Transcription rates Nov 21, 2003

Rather than charging by the page, I have charged by the hour. It took me an average of 1 hour to transcribe 5 minutes of video.

This may take longer if the audio quality is poor, if the persons speaking do not speak clearly, etc.

Be careful not to underestimate your time and ask for a sample of the tape.

Andy Golebiowski
Buffalo, NY
USA

Kfulton wrote:

Dubbing has hidden expenses: you have to pay for the voice talent (duh!), but there's the studio charge as well. This includes the time it takes to record the voice-over (and don't believe that it can be done in one take: there's a funny noise in the microphone, or the voice talent sneezes, etc.) as well as the time it takes to make sure that the tape is technically acceptable.

Doubtless the client will ask you to coordinate the talent, studio and other production-related matters, so make sure you get paid for that time as well.

Costs of studio time and voice talent vary from locality to locality, so you'll have to do some research regarding prevailing conditions in your area.
Hope this points you in the right direction,
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription/Translation/Dubbing of Video - Urgent Please

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »