Thread poster: xxxTIL Ltd
xxxTIL Ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2009

Premise:
The client did not want to pay me and looked for a EU Tax number, payment is due tomorrow and it was the first and last time I worked with him.

Dear Colleague,

Let me inform you that our main client ordered an extraordinary internal audit of all payments scheduled for December and it affects almost all suppliers (the amount involved is in the range of million EUR). Due to the nature of this exercise, the end date is not disclosed, but expected to be completed by early January.

I am really sorry for the invoncenience it may cause to you.

As the room for negotiation is rather limited and I cannot influence the timing of internal reviews of such a large multinational company, pls. do not send angry mails because that will not result in earlier payment, but ruins my holiday season only.

It is a client with outstandingly good payment history (based on the records of the last 10 years), thus we have to tolerate it without claiming any compensation.

I do hope that you can tackle it without any major trouble.

I wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad Engrish Dec 21, 2009

Their English is so bad that I have trouble understanding what they mean but it sounds as if someone has gone backrupt and the receivers are working out how much money they can raise, to see if there's enough to pay all the suppliers (including you).

Or did I get that wrong? What they've written is almost completely incomprehensible.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 04:39
English to Croatian
+ ...
Generic newsletters Dec 21, 2009

I've received a number of generic newsletters from the agencies that have me in their database and never send any actual translation work my way. They've all sent a generic Merry Christmas email. Lovely.

On the other hand, I haven't received any Merry Christmas notes from the agencies for which I actually did some translation work. It doesn't bother me at all, as the last thing I want is a *generic* best wishes note.

I have come to realize that the former agencies have one sole purpose: to remind you of their existence once a year, in a Merry Christmas email.

[Edited at 2009-12-21 22:47 GMT]

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:39
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Christmas cheer Dec 21, 2009

An absolutely lovely, oversized poinsettia, complete with holiday decorations, was couriered yesterday to my door from the other side of our country, some 6000 miles away, accompanied by an equally lovely “Thank You” card. It came from one of my regular clients who also happens to pay me - for years now - without fail 2 days after invoicing.

So - there ARE reliable, thoughtful and appreciative clients out there, as well

Cheers,
johanna

xxxTIL Ltd
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The point is that my client did not pay me Dec 22, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

I've received a number of generic newsletters from the agencies that have me in their database and never send any actual translation work my way. They've all sent a generic Merry Christmas email. Lovely.

On the other hand, I haven't received any Merry Christmas notes from the agencies for which I actually did some translation work. It doesn't bother me at all, as the last thing I want is a *generic* best wishes note.

I have come to realize that the former agencies have one sole purpose: to remind you of their existence once a year, in a Merry Christmas email.

[Edited at 2009-12-21 22:47 GMT]

and in this cheeky way, he also tried to be " funny" and say "listen mate, I am having a nice Xmas with your 450 quids". Anyone in the same situation?

[Edited at 2009-12-22 09:04 GMT]

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 04:39
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Send one back Dec 22, 2009

Your client has been so kind as to send you a nice Christmas greeting, so perhaps you should send one back along the lines of:

Dear XX,

It is a very unfortunate situation for you at this time where one should be enjoying Christmas, and you have my best wishes for a speedy solution.

However unfortunate your situation may be, my engagement is with you and not the end client, so to keep my Christmas spirits up you must off course pay me the due amount at the due date.

I do realise that this may be rather inconvenient for you, and for that I do apologise.

Please don't send explanatory emails, as these will not make me more inclined to accept a delay in payment, rather they will just ruin my Christmas spirits.

As your company have so far had a good payment record, I would hate to see it ruined by some client's financial problems.

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards,
YY

Wouldn't it be great? ;o)

xxxTIL Ltd
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
indeed I sent a similar email Dec 22, 2009

PCovs wrote:

Your client has been so kind as to send you a nice Christmas greeting, so perhaps you should send one back along the lines of:

Dear XX,

It is a very unfortunate situation for you at this time where one should be enjoying Christmas, and you have my best wishes for a speedy solution.

However unfortunate your situation may be, my engagement is with you and not the end client, so to keep my Christmas spirits up you must off course pay me the due amount at the due date.

I do realise that this may be rather inconvenient for you, and for that I do apologise.

Please don't send explanatory emails, as these will not make me more inclined to accept a delay in payment, rather they will just ruin my Christmas spirits.

As your company have so far had a good payment record, I would hate to see it ruined by some client's financial problems.

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards,
YY

Wouldn't it be great? ;o)

and he daid he deposited the money on my account. I will be happy when I see a record on my account. anyway thanks to you guys for your support, and happy Xmas!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy Xmas from a lovely client

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search