How to calculate the right rate
Thread poster: albaalbetti
albaalbetti
Italy
Local time: 23:23
Dec 22, 2009

Hi,
as I'm about to translate for the first time, is there ayone advising me how to calculate the right price for a traslation? I mean if my rate is X euros per page, I have to know the size of the page and I've read throught the Web that usually a standard page is made of about 1500 characters. Do you agree? How do you usually do for defining the rate for page?

Have a nice day!
Alba

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The discussion without end Dec 22, 2009

I always charge per source word.

Every time a client suggests paying per page or "a cartella" in Italian, there always ensues a discussion about how many words that is. It's a very archaic sysem that makes no sense. There are entire discussion threads on Proz.com arguing about how many words it is !

Therefore it makes more sense to charge per source word (NOT target !!). That is now the common practice anyway and with today's computer programmes it's very easy to count the words.

[Edited at 2009-12-22 10:39 GMT]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I charge per source word Dec 22, 2009

There are different ways to calculate your rates for translation.
I use per word, some use per page and others use per character, so firstly I think you should decide which of these schemes you will follow for your translation work in general.

Once decided, you may decide your rate per unit (i.e. word, page, character) and that's it.

Ex.: If you usually charge per word, and someone wants a price per page, I would ask to see the page(s), count the words and then calculate the appropriate rate per page.
Similarly if you usually charge per character - ask to see the page, count the characters and then calculate the appropriate rate per page.

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Cartella Dec 22, 2009

If your client insists on a per cartella price, define it yourself in your quotation - 1500 keystrokes including spaces.
The texts I translate vary between about 207 and 213 words per cartella.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
source Dec 22, 2009

Russell Jones wrote:

If your client insists on a per cartella price, define it yourself in your quotation - 1500 keystrokes including spaces.

Is that for Italian source texts? I suppose English is more likely relevant as a source language in Alba's case. I've been told it's 250 to 300 words per 1800 characters (incl. spaces), so 210 words would be perhaps the lower limit per 1500 characters rather than the average — or?

[Edited at 2009-12-22 11:26 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
he he Dec 22, 2009

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Russell Jones wrote:

Is that for Italian source texts? I suppose English is more likely relevant as a source language in Alba's case. I've been told it's 250 to 300 words per 1800 characters (incl. spaces), so 210 words would be perhaps the lower limit per 1500 characters rather than the average — or?

[Edited at 2009-12-22 11:26 GMT]

See what I mean ? As predicted - varying opinions- it gets quite philosophical! See my previous post.

Just counting the words in your source text is the simplest and most commonly recognised way, and eliminates all discussion.

[Edited at 2009-12-22 11:38 GMT]

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Yes of course Dec 22, 2009

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

I suppose English is more likely relevant as a source language in Alba's case.

It is easy to calculate your own formula though by using Word's word and character count on as large a sample of typical source texts as possible. Do a few words either way really matter if you're accepting the per cartella basis?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate the right rate

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search