Good rate for 250 pages History/Religion book translation Eng>FR?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 09:10
English to French
Jan 2, 2010

Hello,

I was wondering what are the standard rates for book translations Eng>French?

I have to do a 250 pages history book translation and I would want to indicate my rate/page.
However I think in terms of Rate/word, so I don"t really know what to put for Rate/page.(never used such a rate).

Any advice?

Let's say a page has 450 words in average...

[Edited at 2010-01-02 21:23 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:10
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Type of book? Jan 2, 2010

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I think in terms of Rate/word, so I don"t really know what to put for Rate/page.

Surely, don't you just multiply your per word rate by 450?? Am I missing something?

On the other hand, your question could mean "what is an acceptable rate?" - in this case I have no idea and I doubt whether anyone can really give you an answer - after all, it depends on how much time it will take and how much money you need to live on.

One thing I can say is that a lot depends on the type of book. Fiction and non-fiction are completely different in terms of translation time, problems, research needs, expertise, ...

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Question title updated... Jan 2, 2010

Ok. I just updated the title. It should be better now.

I just want to get an idea of how much other translators would charge for such a translation so that my rate proposal seems "reasonable" and not too low or too high...

Apparently rates do differ significantly from one type of book translation to the other.Am I right?

[Edited at 2010-01-02 21:34 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Rates Jan 2, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I think in terms of Rate/word, so I don"t really know what to put for Rate/page.

Surely, don't you just multiply your per word rate by 450?? Am I missing something?

On the other hand, your question could mean "what is an acceptable rate?" - in this case I have no idea and I doubt whether anyone can really give you an answer - after all, it depends on how much time it will take and how much money you need to live on.

One thing I can say is that a lot depends on the type of book. Fiction and non-fiction are completely different in terms of translation time, problems, research needs, expertise, ...

I have never heard of anyone getting paid the "usual" per word rate in case of a book, fiction or otherwise. If you tried to apply the per word rate you would use for a contract or a financial report, the editor would probably laugh and move on to another translator.
Then again, I don't have that much experience in this field.

BTW, the "page" they use as a unit of measure is probably not an actual page in the book in question, but rather a standard page of X characters. X varies with the country and even the company.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Have a look at the book first Jan 3, 2010

Without seeing the actual pages you don't know what you are bidding for. You could at the same time ask the customer what they are ready to pay. Then you can decide if it is worth the effort.
I have twice translated books (non-fiction) and got paid quite well. But that was 8 years ago.
Regards
Heinrich

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
publisher contract Jan 3, 2010

Alexandre,

Your project sounds like it should fall under a publishing contract ("contrat d'édition") as it is not a commercial translation.

The fees are calculated "au feuillet" (1500 keystrokes, spaces included) and paid as "droits d'auteur" - not "honoraires" - and the social charges (through the AGESSA) are much lower than for those that fall under the URSSAF's purview.

Check if your client is a "diffuseur" under French law and discuss this with him.

Take a look at the French forums, there is a lot of information there about contrats d'édition, droits d'auteur and so on.

HTH

Patricia

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
FWIW Jan 4, 2010

An Italian rate per page (what Patricia cited as "au feuillet") is equivalent to 220-230 words, counted on the source language. I imagine French and Italian are similar enough for the purposes of calculating a price.
HTH
Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good rate for 250 pages History/Religion book translation Eng>FR?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search