droits d'auteur
Thread poster: sequoia
sequoia
sequoia
France
Local time: 04:47
Jan 6, 2010

Hello,

I am a young translator I haven't got a Siret number yet. I made a "note de droits d'auteur" for subtitles in October 2009.
A screening of the video (with my subtitles) is scheduled in an art gallery in January 2010.
How much should I ask for that screening and who should I ask?

Thank you for your advice.

[Modifié le 2010-01-06 17:12 GMT]

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:47
German to English
+ ...
Copyright collecting society Jan 6, 2010

In France, I imagine - since it is a pan-European phenomenon at least - royalties on performances of a work (and that includes the video with your subtitles) are handled centrally by a collecting society. You should register with this society if you expect that works of yours are to be performed (which they apparently will be), and at the end of the financial period (month, quarter or whatever the use) they will transfer the amount to you. This amount is determined by them.

The alt
... See more
In France, I imagine - since it is a pan-European phenomenon at least - royalties on performances of a work (and that includes the video with your subtitles) are handled centrally by a collecting society. You should register with this society if you expect that works of yours are to be performed (which they apparently will be), and at the end of the financial period (month, quarter or whatever the use) they will transfer the amount to you. This amount is determined by them.

The alternative is to enter into negotiations with whoever is showing the video on the payment of a fee. This will depend on how many people are expected to see the film, whether admission is charged or other revenue raised (sale of drinks, works of art, copies of the film).

However, you do not say whether you have been paid for the subtitles. If you have been paid a usual translator's fee (per line etc, but NOT per performance/showing), then you will probably be regarded as having assigned your copyright to the client and will probably have no entitlement to an additional fee.
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
English to German
+ ...
royalties Jan 12, 2010

There are several collection societies in France. Search the Internet for the correct one, register with them if you think it's worth the trouble and they'll handle claims for you. I'm a member of VG Wort in Germany and I get a yearly cheque (nut much though) for screening, renting, borrowing from libraries, copying etc. (secondary use) of published translations, subtitles etc., regardless of payment by my client.
You need a substantial body of published work to make it worthwhile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

droits d'auteur

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »