Looking for an invoicing program that calculates VAT and numbers invoices automatically
Thread poster: Buck

Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 01:22
Dutch to English
Jan 11, 2010

Hi. I'm based in the Netherlands and am looking for an invoicing program that calculates VAT and numbers invoices automatically (date, sequence no., etc.). It can be in either Dutch or English and preferably not expensive. TIA

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-01-11 15:08 GMT]

Juliet Allaway  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Quickbooks Jan 11, 2010

Try the free version of quickbooks. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is excellent and very simple to use.
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/
It isn't worth getting the version you have to pay for... the other one is fine

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:22
SITE FOUNDER
How about the invoicing service available to you as a ProZ.com member? Jan 11, 2010

Buck wrote:

Hi. I'm based in the Netherlands and am looking for an invoicing program that calculates VAT and numbers invoices automatically (date, sequence no., etc.). It can be in either Dutch or English and preferably not expensive. TIA

I notice you are a member, thanks for that. Have you tried the ProZ.com invoicing solution (available to you with your membership at no additional charge)? This invoicing solution was built from the ground up specifically for translators. If it does not already meet your needs, we may be able to add the features you require.

The ProZ.com web-based invoicing service is under the "Tools" menu.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Ditto Jan 11, 2010

Juliet Allaway wrote:

Try the free version of quickbooks. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is excellent and very simple to use.
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/
It isn't worth getting the version you have to pay for... the other one is fine

I too use the free version of Quickbooks. It works perfectly.

Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Intuit not available in Europe Jan 11, 2010

Thanks Buck for this question. I'm looking for exactly the same thing. I purchased Translation Office 3000 after seeing it recommended on Proz. It is a very complicated and user-unfriendly piece of software (with no manual) and as I was unable even to print an invoice after 4 hours trying I have continued to do my accounts manually.
Quickbooks looks very good but after checking out the website I see it is no longer available in Europe. You can't even download a trial version without a US phone number.

[Edited at 2010-01-11 15:50 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Express Invoice (free software) Jan 11, 2010

This is a link to the Mac version, but there is also a link to the Windows version on that page: http://www.nchsoftware.com/invoice/index.html

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
My own experience of TO 3000 is somewhat different Jan 11, 2010

NR_Stedman wrote:

Thanks Buck for this question. I'm looking for exactly the same thing. I purchased Translation Office 3000 after seeing it recommended on Proz. It is a very complicated and user-unfriendly piece of software (with no manual) and as I was unable even to print an invoice after 4 hours trying I have continued to do my accounts manually.
Quickbooks looks very good but after checking out the website I see it is no longer available in Europe. You can't even download a trial version without a US phone number.

I was going to recommend the very software condemned here. Obviously, it has its limitations, being rather too "vertical" and not sufficiently "horizontal", but I have made it work and produced many invoices. I think the trick for tax purposes is to make a locked PDF image out of the RTF file output from TO 3000. With compendious software of this type, one needs to make it work for the main purpose first, and then work outwards into the other functions. It does actually have a help menu, which is well worth visiting.

Another positive point I have found is that the support team is friendly, and quick to respond in person to queries and problems.

I believe one can download a one-month trial version; obviously, it would be a good idea to compare the Translation Office 3000 package with the ProZ offer, of which I'm afraid I have no experience, so my opinion will be somewhat one-sided.

If either of you have queries regarding TO 3000 and wish to contact me, please feel free to try some peer help!

With kind regards and happy new year,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu 41189)
ahw@wordgrist.com

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TO3000 Jan 11, 2010

I have been using TO3000 for half a year now, and it works, but it has its quirks. The major one in my opinion is the general project/job structure, which makes it unnecessarily complicated for small businesses like mine. In order to register a job, you have to select a client, make up what is called a "project", than make up what is called a "job" inside that project (with more or less the same information that you already entered for the project), before you finally can issue an invoice.

I'd rather completely lose the project concept, but you can't.

Another problem is that invoice numbering isn't quite as flexible as I'd like it to be.

Also, the GUI isn't quite up to par in terms of user friendliness.

That said, the program works, and as someone else has pointed out, support is excellent. You might indeed want to try the demo version, which is free.

Best regards,
Erik

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com invoicing tool can calculate VAT and number invoices automatically (free to members) Jan 11, 2010

Hi Buck,

The ProZ.com invoicing tool is free to members and can be used to calculate VAT and number invoices automatically. (Some configuration may be needed to get it to work the way you want.)

Please let me know if you need any help getting this set up, or if I misunderstood your requirements.

Best regards,

Jason
ProZ.com Staff

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 11, 2010

Thanks everyone so far. One question about the proz invoicing tool. Are the documents stored anywhere on proz? I'm a bit concerned about my details being "out there".

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, data is stored (until it is deleted) Jan 11, 2010

Buck wrote:

Thanks everyone so far. One question about the proz invoicing tool. Are the documents stored anywhere on proz? I'm a bit concerned about my details being "out there".

Good question, valid concern. To be precise, the documents are not stored, but the data is -- and there is a risk inherent in that.

If you like the solution otherwise, one way to mitigate the risks would be to delete invoices (actually, their associated data) after they have been generated. (Or, if you wanted to make use of tracking and reminders, maybe you would delete them after they have been paid.) This would result in the data ceasing to be stored.

Deleting records in this way would make reporting useless, though, which may be a high price to pay. Therefore, we generally advise members who are uncomfortable with web-based invoicing to consider desktop solutions.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
English to Russian
+ ...
sorry but… Jan 11, 2010

NR_Stedman wrote:

http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/

UK site is fully operational.
Honestly, I don't know whether they offer free software, but for European VAT calculations we need to use a British version of Quickbooks anyway.

[Edited at 2010-01-11 20:03 GMT]

added in one hour

They have a free package http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/accounting-software/quickbooks-freestarter.jsp?iref=uk_choose_a

[Edited at 2010-01-11 20:20 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
English to Russian
+ ...
TO3000 Jan 11, 2010

efreitag wrote:

I have been using TO3000 for half a year now, and it works, but it has its quirks. The major one in my opinion is the general project/job structure, which makes it unnecessarily complicated for small businesses like mine.

You should downgrade for version 7.0
Works flawlessly and have a very simple and friendly algorythm. No projects, only jobs.

I use TO3000 for calculating jobs and issuing invoices. All other bookkeeping—including recording invoices issued in TO3000—I do in Quickbooks 2002 Pro.

[Edited at 2010-01-11 20:03 GMT]

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
My favorite invoicing solution: Jan 11, 2010

Word, a calculator, and a cashbook.

Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
I suggest TOM Jan 12, 2010

Since a few years I use TOM (translation office management) from www.jovo-soft.de and I could not do without it anymore.icon_smile.gif

It is a very complete software which is available in different versions and is, in my opinion, affordable.

It allows you to manage your projects, issues automaticly invoices, warns you when the delai for payment has expired, helps you calculate your VAT declaration...

It is pretty complete, I don't use all of it, but yet can definitely recommend it.

Have a look on the site and download a trial version.

Groetjes

Pascale

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for an invoicing program that calculates VAT and numbers invoices automatically

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search