Choosing "Autoentrepreneur" status in France
Thread poster: Decipherit

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2010

I am registered as a 'micro-entreprise BNC' here in France and have received a letter from CIPAV asking me if I want to become an 'autoentrepreneur'. I know this topic has been discussed at great length on these forums but I'm afraid my head spins at the complicated ins and outs and bureaucracy. I gather that I only have until 28th February to make my mind up. Does anybody know have any clear information on what the pros and cons are of changing from a 'micro' to becoming an 'autoentrepeneur'?

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:06
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Calculate the difference in gain for you Jan 12, 2010

Hi Lisa,

What I know is that as autoentrepreneur (BNC) you can pay your social contributions monthly or quarterly, and the amount is 18,3% of your sales receipts. Nothing else is due further on, except for the taxe professionnelle (or its replacement).

Plus you can opt for the monthly or quarterly payment of your income tax (if your family's income lies below a certain amount). The amount is 2,2% of your sales receipts.

Nothing changes as to VAT between micro-entreprise and autoenrepreneur (no VAT charged, no VAT recovery).

You cannot deduct anything (investments, purchases) for tax purposes but I believe that is true for micro-entreprise as well.

I think maybe it would be a good idea to post your question in the French forum.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to English
+ ...
requesting this change has been unsuccessful for me! Jan 12, 2010

I am amazed at your posting! I have been trying since February 2009 to make the same change on my own initiative but have been stonewalled at CIPAV, RSI and URRSAF, despite reading that it had become possible for 'profession liberales' to change. No-one would give me a straight answer except for on the telephone where it apparently doesn't matter if the person on the other end just says whatever comes into their head. When I followed up in writing the answer was contradictory. (steam steaming out of ears)

In any case, I have given up and have had to regularly request an outstay of payment for social contributions as I do not earn as much as they think I do or ought to. Nice to know that at least they are optimistic about translation earnings in France! Your post has given me the hope that I may also receive such a letter in due course.

To finally attempt to answer your question, as I understand it, under the auto-entrepreneur regime your social contributions are based on what you have already earned rather a projection of what you may earning.

I just checked the situation on
http://www.startbusinessinfrance.com/
to discover that indeed it is not yet possible for 'profession liberales' to change regime but this may change in the first quarter of this year (why none of the relevant institutions could tell me that is another question). The above mentioned website should be very helpful: you can post questions.

Good Luck!

AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Income tax Jan 12, 2010

Hi Lisa,
as far as I know as AE you pay your income tax directly (1.5% or so) every month or quarter: this is much less than as a Micro BNC.
And if you do not get paid during a period (month or quarter, depending which period you choose) you do not pay any taxes at all.

It all depends upon your work cycle over the year.

Welcome to French bureaucracy!!

Anne-Marie

France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Recent change Jan 12, 2010

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

I am amazed at your posting! I have been trying since February 2009 to make the same change on my own initiative but have been stonewalled at CIPAV, RSI and URRSAF, despite reading that it had become possible for 'profession liberales' to change.

Hi Jennifer,

There has been a recent change (new law) and it is as of now possible to switch from micro-entreprise to autoentrepreneur.

See on Cipav's website:
http://www.cipav-retraite.fr/cipav/rubrique-2-actualites-40.htm#40

Best of luck,
Andrea

France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
income tax Jan 12, 2010

amgtraduction wrote:
as far as I know as AE you pay your income tax directly (1.5% or so) every month or quarter:

It's 2,2% (see my post above)

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CIPAV's letter Jan 13, 2010

I am amazed at your posting! I have been trying since February 2009 to make the same change on my own initiative but have been stonewalled at CIPAV, RSI and URRSAF, despite reading that it had become possible for 'profession liberales' to change. No-one would give me a straight answer except for on the telephone where it apparently doesn't matter if the person on the other end just says whatever comes into their head. When I followed up in writing the answer was contradictory. (steam steaming out of ears)

Hi Jennifer,

CIPAV's letter says that there is a specific form on the www.lautoentrepreneur.fr site for people who are already signed up with CIPAV but I see no sign of that form on the site. If you really want to go ahead with this I would just try filling in the standard form on the site and see if it gets you anywhere. For the charges to be applied in 2010 you must do this by 28/2/10. CIPAV's letter does however say that if you received a 'pre-appel de cotisations' for 2010 you will still have to pay those in 2010. So it sounds as if CIPAV will only move you over to the 'simplified' system in 2011.

I am still trying to figure out whether it'll be beneficial or not for me to change over. At the moment I have minimal admin whereas this system apparently requires you to complete a form on your earnings every quarter. I also wonder how messy the changeover will be and how they will adjust the last 2 years of income since they always base your social charges on your earnings 2 years ago. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anybody know somebody of a different profession who has changed regime and can confirm the transition is a smooth one?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing "Autoentrepreneur" status in France

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search