How do you convert /character into /word?
Thread poster: ATIL KAYHAN

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:02
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2010

I noticed one outsourcer giving rates in units of per characters instead of per words that I am accustomed to, for example, $0.01 per character. How do you convert rates per characters into one per words, and vice versa?

I noticed another outsourcer mentioning about UI and UA with regards to the rates. What do UI and UA stand for? I never met these before.

I thought it would be more appropriate to ask these here in the forums. Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,
ATIL

[Edited at 2010-01-20 13:55 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 13:02
English to French
+ ...
Use MS Word Jan 20, 2010

I suggest you use a large document in your source language as a sample. You open it in MS Word. Go to File-Properties-Statistics, this gives you the number of characters and the number of words in the document, so you know the average number of characters per word. Of course it will depend on the language.

Jean-Pierre

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:32
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Full forms of UI and UA Jan 21, 2010

Hi,

Below goes the full forms
UI= User Interface
UA= User Assistance

Regards,
PRAKAASH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you convert /character into /word?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search