Thread poster: Astrid Breuer-Greiff (X)
Astrid Breuer-Greiff (X)
Astrid Breuer-Greiff (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:01
French to German
+ ...
Nov 8, 2003

I posted a job on this website and got a bid from a "mature and experienced translator". He did a translation of 11 pages for me - it took the proofreader 10 hours to edit the text for publishing. When I checked I found no credentials as a translator but a degree in engineering.
Would you pay this engineer's invoice?
Thanks for your comment.

Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Discount Nov 8, 2003

Hi,
have you already told him, that his translation did not correspond to your requirements? I would deduct the costs for your proofreader from his invoice.
It happened to me last year, I had to proofread a text which was extremely "schlampig", it took me many hours (one working day), therefore the translator agency deducted "my" costs from the other translator's invoice. This was due to the fact that proofreading was NOT foreseen, the customer sent the text back because he could n
... See more
Hi,
have you already told him, that his translation did not correspond to your requirements? I would deduct the costs for your proofreader from his invoice.
It happened to me last year, I had to proofread a text which was extremely "schlampig", it took me many hours (one working day), therefore the translator agency deducted "my" costs from the other translator's invoice. This was due to the fact that proofreading was NOT foreseen, the customer sent the text back because he could not read it.
I hope my information will help you
Bye
Francesca
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Excuse me but... Nov 9, 2003

you should have checked the credentials before assigning the job, should you not?

In any case, I think you should first let him know about the poor quality of his translation, if you haven't done so yet, and even ask him to try again -if you can still trust him, of course- or take baroni's advice. Or maybe it's not his fault at all, but that of the colleagues answering his KudoZ questions As someone from the service-p
... See more
you should have checked the credentials before assigning the job, should you not?

In any case, I think you should first let him know about the poor quality of his translation, if you haven't done so yet, and even ask him to try again -if you can still trust him, of course- or take baroni's advice. Or maybe it's not his fault at all, but that of the colleagues answering his KudoZ questions As someone from the service-providing side of this story, I'm extremely frustrated this week to receive an average of 4-5 KudoZ questions per day from a wannabe who's just got the job I missed together with at least 3 other colleagues specialized in the same area. Oh, she's got no credentials either, this translation which she is doing in the foreign direction has nothing to do with her experience, her page and general Proz performance are enough to tell about her command of the foreign language, as well as of her native one, and her only qualification as far as I can tell is accepting to work for less than peanuts. Now, what should we all do, service-buyers and -providers alike, who take this area of activity seriously, professionally, and who do care for language. Any suggestions from the other side?
_____

Sorry. I must have been confused... "ask him to try again" doesn't apply any more, of course. You said you had the translation proofread already. So, discount, as baroni suggests above, is the only solution left.

[Edited at 2003-11-09 01:34]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check in advance Nov 9, 2003

Hi Astrid,
I posted a job on this website and got a bid from a "mature and experienced translator".

I take it that was the translator's own description of his expertise. Personally, I would never take any such slogan for granted. Also, it's advisable to start with a smaller job for a first-time assignment.

He did a translation of 11 pages for me - it took the proofreader 10 hours to edit the text for publishing. When I checked I found no credentials as a translator but a degree in engineering.

First of all, it sounds as if you checked after the event - I guess you're now aware of the potential problems involved.
The issue of not having any credentials (whatever you may have been looking for) may be relevant, but not necessarily so: I have seen horrendous translations from translators with diplomas, credentials, etc.

Would you pay this engineer's invoice?

I'm afraid you will have to: under German civil law, you need to give a supplier of work a chance to rectify any shortcomings before you can reject acceptance.

What I tend to do in such instances is to first discuss the issue with the translator, and to specify exactly what was wrong with the translation. Then I offer a choice of accepting a discount (note that the 10 hours' editing are not eligible for deduction in full), or to receive payment in full, but with the certainty that there won't be any more jobs.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »