How to take action against Bad Payers?
Thread poster: Mahdi Ghazanfar

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 22:35
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Feb 1, 2010

Hi,
I have faced a pad payer agency which does not even reply my emails. what kind of actin do you recommend for me to take against it?
Thank you in advance for your kind attention.
Warm Wishes

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What country? Feb 1, 2010

I reckon that would very much depend on where the company is located. What can you tell us about that?

Also, as you are not a member you cannot use Proz.com's Blueboard, but you might want to get Proz.com membership to add an entry about the firm online, so that other colleagues don't fall in the trap.

And last thing: have you tried calling them using the phone for several days in a row?

Andrea Melletat
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Knowledge of country is essential Feb 1, 2010

As a lawyer and translator I have an idea of what is possible in which country.
But depending on the legal system it is often more useful - moneywise - to not take action against a non-paying person due the risks of paying loadas of money to lawyers and courts before the claim is even considered by a judge.

Best regards
Andrea

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Non-Members may enter Blue Board LWAs at no charge Feb 1, 2010

There is a misconception about who may use the Blue Board, and for what purposes.

While non-Members have to pay a fee any time they wish to consult the Blue Board - http://www.proz.com/faq/3004#3004 - there is no charge for either creating a new Blue Board record or for entering your Likelihood to Work Again (LWA) for a particular outsourcer - http://www.proz.com/faq/3007#3007 : the more input we get from everybody, the more all of us, including paying Members, will benefit from the Blue Board.

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 22:35
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad Payer Feb 1, 2010

Hi,
thank you indeed for your comments . the agency is seemingly located in Qatar and they have an official site. the POs and way of conduct didnt seem to be of a bad payer. I have called them several times. they reply the phone in their language and hang up when I start speaking with them. in their last email they asked me to send them an alternative payment method as they couldn't pay through PayPal. but since then I haven't got any emails of them.
Regards
Mahdi Ghazanfar

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely a BlueBoard entry as a first step Feb 1, 2010

Mahdi Ghazanfar wrote:
thank you indeed for your comments . the agency is seemingly located in Qatar and they have an official site. the POs and way of conduct didnt seem to be of a bad payer. I have called them several times. they reply the phone in their language and hang up when I start speaking with them. in their last email they asked me to send them an alternative payment method as they couldn't pay through PayPal. but since then I haven't got any emails of them.

Indeed this sounds like malpractive. I would encourage you to add an entry to the BlueBoard as a first step. It will not help you collect your money, but it will help other people avoid falling in the trap.

Good luck!

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
any country... Feb 1, 2010

Hi! I suggest it not be limited to country area or any area, a bad payer is a bad payer, probably in a bad mood anywhere. This applies equally to a bad supplier in non-compliance of the instruction set which most of us and also mostly get. The rest is guess work. Who is bad or BAD. Brandis

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Blue Board entry, yes. Feb 1, 2010

I only entered details of an extremely late payment by a client once (so far), but it seemed to do the trick - my invoice was paid in full within a very short time.

That meant that is was not necessary to take any further action. I would definitely try that as a first step.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blueboard, not a collection method Feb 1, 2010

Paul Malone wrote:
I only entered details of an extremely late payment by a client once (so far), but it seemed to do the trick - my invoice was paid in full within a very short time.

However Paul, I hope we don't miss the picture here about the power of the Blueboard. Once an entry is made, it should stay there, even if we are paid. The Blueboard should not be a means of collecting payments, or bad payers will feel that there is an easy escape from Blueboard. It must stay a solid way of helping other colleagues even if we risk not being paid at all.

And of course the Blueboard is an excellent means of promoting good practices and great agencies by means of good LWA numbers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to take action against Bad Payers?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search