Thread poster: Olga Prisekina-Olrichs

Olga Prisekina-Olrichs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 2, 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to understand this matter. Is translation project received and delivered translated via Internet considered to be an electonically supplied service? I am try to understand whether to charge VAT and who pays VAT, if I am supplying translation services to a VAT payer in the EN country and non-VAT payer in the EU country. Can anyone help? Would be greatly appreciated!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just in case it is useful Feb 2, 2010

I honestly think the best you could do is to call your local tax authorities and let them explain this to you over the phone.

However, just in case it helps you decide whether your service is an electronically supplied service (I don't think it is actually), you can read a Directive here which could be applicable.

Good luck!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Related thread Feb 2, 2010

Hi Olga,

Detailed explanation of the EU directive can be found in a related thread: EU customers with national VAT numbers: should VAT be charged?

As Gary Wilkinson from the European Commission DG Taxation and Customs Union wrote,
However, since this Community legislation is based on a Directive, each Member State is responsible for the transposition of these provisions into national legislation and their correct application within its territory. In the light of this and the basic principles of subsidiarity, national tax administrations have the principal responsibility for informing their taxable persons about the interpretation and application of these provisions.

Therefore, I would suggest that you contact the relevant national tax administration direct, in order to obtain a precise, complete and binding answer to your query.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-02-02 13:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

electronically supplied services?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search