Agency wants to pay directly to freelancer's credit card account - comments?
Thread poster: Lota

Lota
United States
Local time: 06:20
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2003

My topic pretty much covers my question. I am doing a translation and the agency wants to pay me directly into my credit card. I am a bit reluctant to agree to this arrangement. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

Lota

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:20
English to German
+ ...
Impossible to judge without details Nov 12, 2003

Hi Lota,
Whilst this might be unusual, I cannot see any real problem upfront. Having said that, it's impossible to tell whether there's any problem without knowing exactly what kind of credit card you have. Now that's not exactly the kind of information you would want to disclose in a public forum, of course...

One starting point might be to discuss this with the bank (or other issuer) that's issued your card, and hear what they have to say about it (after all, they will need to properly account for it).

Could it be that your customer wants to use payment systems such as Moneybookers or Paypal, and did not express this very well?

Best regards, Ralf

Lota
United States
Local time: 06:20
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details Nov 12, 2003

Thank you, Ralf. I did not want to overwhelm people with any details but let's see now.

Could it be that your customer wants to use payment systems such as Moneybookers or Paypal, and did not express this very well?

Indeed, they offered to pay me using Paypal but I have not done this set-up for myself. Usually, I accept checks and that has worked fine for me. This time, the agency wants to pay me directly into my credit card. What card do I have? Just ordinary credit cards, like Visa or MasterCard. With a number and expiry date, nothing special about them. Maybe indeed it is safe to give it to them since I will not be authorizing any charges at all.

So these are all the details now.
Thanks again.
Lota

baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
I refused to give my credit card number Nov 12, 2003

Hi Lota,
some months ago an agency wanted to pay me through my credit card. They asked me explicity for my credit card number (they did not mean Paypal!!). Thus, I called my bank in Italy and they told me that this kind of payment is not allowed in Italy (my credit card can be used only to pay and not to receive). Finally, they paid me by bank transfer (more expensive but sure).

P.S.: for payments through Paypal you only need to give your e-mail address!

I hope it will help you!
Francesca

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to French
No credit card number Nov 13, 2003

Lota wrote:

Thank you, Ralf. I did not want to overwhelm people with any details but let's see now.

Indeed, they offered to pay me using Paypal but I have not done this set-up for myself. Usually, I accept checks and that has worked fine for me. This time, the agency wants to pay me directly into my credit card. What card do I have? Just ordinary credit cards, like Visa or MasterCard. With a number and expiry date, nothing special about them. Maybe indeed it is safe to give it to them since I will not be authorizing any charges at all.

So these are all the details now.
Thanks again.
Lota

Credit card number and expiry date are all you need to buy stuff, not to pay. In France at least, you can not be paid using your credit card number.

Get them to follow the usual procedures. Bank transfer or check (since you accept them). They left the payment options out on the contract and you are therefore entitled to decide how the payment should be done. If they want something different for next time, you can work it out, but this time, it's up to you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wants to pay directly to freelancer's credit card account - comments?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search