International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

rates for urgent translations
Thread poster: gradara

gradara
Italy
Local time: 14:28
German to Italian
Feb 12, 2010

Hi everybody!
I'm taking on a 2,000 words work, to be done in five days (with weekend in the middle). I'm asking if this can be considered as urgent and, if yes, what a price rise could be like (if any).

Thanks to everybody
Gradara

P.S. I'm working in Italy for an Italian outsourcericon_rolleyes.gif

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:28
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
No Feb 12, 2010

No, it cannot be considered urgent. 2,000 words is a day's worth of effort for most pro translators.

satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:58
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
Normal work Feb 12, 2010

Hi Gradara,

No it is not considered as an urgent translation. Urgent translation means some one give a work in the morning and ask for delivery in the evening for this type of work urgent rates will be applicable but in your situation it is not considered as urgent but leisure translation work even though weekend is in between.

Why because for a professional freelance translator this amount of words will be his/her 3/4th day work. Generally i translate 2500 - 3000 words maximum in a day so you can think what it will be.

Regards,
SATISH.

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Nope Feb 12, 2010

Very seldom would I invoke a price hike for rush jobs. The example you mention; if I was fully booked, and the customer wants me to expedite his translation and delay the other one – that would involve some manipulation and extra pay. But five days for 2 000 words, that is my normal quotation for a customer – weekends are workdays for me.

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:28
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

No Feb 12, 2010

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
No, it cannot be considered urgent. 2,000 words is a day's worth of effort for most pro translators.

I second that. I recently completed a 9,800-word job; I was given five days to do it (with weekend in the middle). Rush fee was out of the question. In my experience, tighter deadlines are becoming more and more common these days, while clients (try to) stretch their payment terms to 60 or even 90 days. Providers (i.e. us) bid on jobs offering very fast turnaround *and* lower rates, at the same time. A clear sign of a market with 'too many eskimos and too few seals'....

gradara
Italy
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Ok! Received! Feb 12, 2010

Of course, I had to spend time for terminology search, but that is "part of the game", when you don't translate in your usual fields.
Thanks a lot to everybody for your prompt answers.
Gradara

Next time I accept a "new" task, I'll have my "little translation memory" already available!

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Are rush surcharges still obtainable? Feb 12, 2010

I mean, according to your experience, dear colleagues, do clients in the globalized market still accept quotes containing obvious rush fees compared to the "going" rate for the language pair and possibly field concerned?
This query is not as stupid as it may sound because a real large number of agencies uses mass emailing to award jobs.
That way it is much easier to obtain a large number of quotes within a very short period of time, subsequently picking the guy offering to do it for the most favourable conditions - as seen from the agency's perspective, obviously. I think these conditions that finally get accepted by the agency could in a huge number of cases be pretty or even highly unfavourable to the chosen linguist. If that is what "winning" jobs / "securing" work is about, then "Gute Nacht", how we say in German (literally: good night, but it has a negative meaning, it basically means: say hello to doom).

[Edited at 2010-02-12 19:17 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:28
Member (2008)
French to English
Do "Rush" jobs exist? Feb 12, 2010

Basically, what is a rush job? Given that it isn't really possible to "rush" a job - it takes so long to do a certain job - for me it's really a question of "Yes, I can do it by your deadline" or "No, I can't do it by your deadline". For myself, I can only work so many hours a day before quality begins to suffer - if I can fit a requirement into my schedule, then its a Yes, otherwise its a No, and neither is really a "Rush".

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
End-clients pay rush rates Feb 12, 2010

Many agencies and brokers are reluctant to accept that any deadline merits a rush rate.

However, outside the language industry there are countless thousands of end-clients who expect to pay high rush rates. As a translator, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not fulfilling their expectations.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rates for urgent translations Feb 12, 2010

The problem with not charging a rush rate (or a minimum fee for small jobs) is that the agency may never send you normal jobs, preferring instead to make sure that you will always remain available should they obtain a rush project / small job because others do apply a surcharge.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
Just say No Feb 12, 2010

I do charge a minimum fee, of course. But I find that doing good work and being prepared to say No is the best way to help outsourcers learn to allow more time in their own (and their clients) schedule. It also conveys the message that you're not going to overcommit and miss deadlines.

gradara
Italy
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
urgent translation rates Feb 13, 2010

Well, my dear colleagues, I was pleasantly surprised with the "tsunami" of replies on the issue I've raised. I was also pleased to hear opinions that go in a different direction. Indeed, if it is true that there are certain criteria for establishing what is an urgent job and what is not, on the other hand it is a matter of fact that, outside the language industry, as John says, there are thousands of end-clients who expect to pay high rush rates. And, to quote Sebastian'opinion as well, the risk is to say "Gute Nacht" to the quality of translations. What is unfortunately happening all the time. The solution, in my opinion, is to find a sort of "compromise", in order not to "undersell" one's professional skills. Charwomen searn more sometimes.
Have a nice weekend.
Gradara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for urgent translations

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search