repetition discounted rates - when applicable?
Thread poster: Livia Seniuc

Livia Seniuc  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:58
English to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2010

Hello everyone!
I would like to know your opinion on when and if discounted rates due to repetition are applicable. The specific situation I am interested in is the following: translations which are not performed with the aid of CAT tools, but in the "traditional" way (direct translations of Word texts, for instance), should they be rated according to repetition reduced rates based on trados log files, for instance?

Sometimes, I am supplied with such log files and asked for discounts based on the nr of repeated words in the text. As I see it, considering that CAT free work is in no way eased by automatic identification of already translated words/segments, I see no reason why such discounts should be applied. In my opinion, the translation of the repeated word in each single context it appears requires efforts which should be acknowledged as such.

What do you think?

Livia

Direct link Reply with quote

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never Feb 18, 2010

If you do not use a CAT tool.. then never!

Edited because I misread the questions.

[Edited at 2010-02-18 11:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-18 13:28 GMT]

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Discount - what discount? Feb 18, 2010

I have never given a discount for repetition - am I missing something?

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
? Feb 18, 2010

Hi Livia,

Actually a repetition log file has more logic than counting single repeated words in isolation. It counts larger repeated segments ( contextually-supported repetition). Otherwise, it would be counting full-stops as repeated words as well, which it doesn't.

Yes, sure it requires effort that should be paid. That's why you charge revision/proofreading additionally.

My advice to you: do not try to discuss "verbal logic" with the agencies that favor CAT tool work, because you will never win. Waste of time.

[Edited at 2010-02-18 12:05 GMT]

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
never Feb 18, 2010

I never give discounts unless TM is send by the clients or PM and we negotiated the terms. Anyway, mostly I have to edit such TMs considerably. Unfortunately.

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
In your case, I think the answer is no. Feb 18, 2010

Without CAT tool, sometimes you even spend more time on those repeated sentences, because you have to ensure consistency and try hard to determine whether they are 100% repeated.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Almost never, no Feb 18, 2010

Livia Seniuc wrote:
The specific situation I am interested in is the following: translations which are not performed with the aid of CAT tools, but in the "traditional" way ... should they be rated according to repetition reduced rates based on Trados log files, for instance?

Usually not, no. But if the files you translate are extremely repetitive on the paragraph level or on the pericope level, and the variations are clearly marked in the source text, and you basically have to change a few words in each paragraph or pericope, and it is easy to find the appropriate paragraph in the "TM", then I can understand that a client might want a discount. But this rarely happens.

Italy
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I feel relieved Feb 18, 2010

..i needed to have an idea of what the general practice was, but personally i felt that these requests were unreasonable. So yes, I totally agree with you. No reason for repetition discounts in these situations...
Thank you all for your time.

Livia

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
how simple when it's someone else's job Feb 18, 2010

Livia Seniuc wrote:

the following: translations which are not performed with the aid of CAT tools, but in the "traditional" way (direct translations of Word texts, for instance), should they be rated according to repetition reduced rates based on trados log files, for instance?

First, a Word file may very well be translated with a CAT tool, so I don't get the point of not using a CAT tool, especially if there are many repeated segments (and if you bothered asking this question then there probably are). It's as "direct" as a non-aided translation. The CAT tool is usually just a Word toolbar.

Second, this "never give discounts" thing never ceases amazes me, especially in reply to a "should" question. What does "should" mean anyway? Are you asking what the moral stance is? Or the custom? Or market reality?

I guess the way to go is to think:
- how much you'll get paid for your time (i.e. whether it is worthwhile for you to do the job at all if you accept a discount); and
- whether or not someone else will give the client a discount (i.e. whether you'll get the job if you don't agree to the discount).

Might make things easier if you used CAT.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Flemish to English
+ ...
What discounts? Feb 19, 2010

Her question is logical given that in Romanic languages, there are a lot of "de" "dell'"as conjunctions. Lets invent a new type of Spanish or French and leave out "de".
Or defenite articles in Germanic languages. Every time, you have to use "the", let's give a discount.

Italy
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Feb 19, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

First, a Word file may very well be translated with a CAT tool, so I don't get the point of not using a CAT tool, especially if there are many repeated segments (and if you bothered asking this question then there probably are). It's as "direct" as a non-aided translation. The CAT tool is usually just a Word toolbar.

Second, this "never give discounts" thing never ceases amazes me, especially in reply to a "should" question. What does "should" mean anyway? Are you asking what the moral stance is? Or the custom? Or market reality?

I guess the way to go is to think:
- how much you'll get paid for your time (i.e. whether it is worthwhile for you to do the job at all if you accept a discount); and
- whether or not someone else will give the client a discount (i.e. whether you'll get the job if you don't agree to the discount).

Might make things easier if you used CAT.

...on the contrary, i get discount requests even when repetition is not that significant (3%-4%). And of course it's up to me to decide whether by accepting discounts the job is still worth taking (and in certain cases it is). What I was wondering about though was if such client behaviour (asking for this type of discounts) was common and if you thought it was reasonable...

Personally, for the way I work, in texts were repetition is not significant or null, i prefer not to use any kind of CAT tool. That's where my question came up.

[Editat la 2010-02-19 14:18 GMT]

Linda Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Feb 19, 2010

Penelope Ausejo wrote:

If you do not use a CAT tool.. then never!

Agree with Penelope.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

repetition discounted rates - when applicable?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search