Thread poster: marantz
marantz  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:25
German to French
+ ...
Mar 6, 2010

Seen today on a translation site :

"Hi, I urgently need English>French full time freelancers for an immedaite job, Pls note our budget is 0.01 USD, so kindly ignore this letter if u r a high rate translator and pls don\'t return back to me with a negotiation word. I ned only ppl who are ready to work for 0.01 USD. Interested ppl kindly forward me ur CV, availabilty and msngr and skype if u have any, U may have most possible chance to be our regular fulltimer for this rate, Ty. Pls forward ur CV to (...) (name erased by me)"

[Edited at 2010-03-06 10:32 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-03-06 17:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
And the fun just never ends Mar 6, 2010

Wow... so someone who not only offers an abysmally low rate, but almost boasts of the fact, criticising those who work for professional rates in the process, as well as throwing non-existent grammar and spelling into the mix.

I'm not sure that's even worthy of a place in my trash bin...

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Advise them to use free MT Mar 6, 2010

They'll save that penny-a-word, so there will be a little more left in the budget to have it redone by a competent pro, if needed. Sometimes it's not needed, so machine translation will provide "a translation" nevertheless.

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Disaster! Mar 6, 2010

Some month ago I just found another forum talking about the same matter, but that time translators were offering in their bids rates of 0.01 USD per source word. I could not imagine it at all, professionals selling themselves their knowledge and all they have struggled for, for that low rate.

I do agree with José. I thought of the same. Some agencies assign their project to those translators at that low rate, and then if necessary it would be proofread by a professional and the total cost would be then too low.

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
One born every minute... Mar 6, 2010

...even at the rate of 0.01 USD.

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:25
English to Latvian
if working on a regular basis Mar 6, 2010

Simple maths:
[about 2500 words a day] x [about 22 workdays a month] x [USD 0.01] = USD 550 a month before taxes.
Wow, that's tempting!

[Edited at 2010-03-06 12:58 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Member (2004)
English to Italian
depends on where you live... Mar 6, 2010

in some countries, US 550 before tax is a lot of money...

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:25
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yes, maybe in China or India Mar 6, 2010

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

in some countries, US 550 before tax is a lot of money...

But how many English-French (native) translators live in the countries I mentioned? If they're just looking for a non-native French translator, they might have a bigger chance of finding one, but I can hardly imagine natives in those two countries.

Oh, I almost forgot to add. The monthly rate would be insufficient if you live in the urban areas of the two countries I mentioned...

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:25
Italian to English
+ ...
The job posting is not business like, for starters. Mar 6, 2010

I wndr if they wnt the trnsltn to appr as if dn on a BB.

IDK. U?

R.
==

Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
not the first time Mar 6, 2010

Something similar was posted not long ago... by an Italian Ministry!!!! Actually, many Italian translators wrote and signed a letter and posted in the newspapers, claiming that an immigrant with no papers in that country earns even more... And they want ProZ to control a bit more those kinds of ads, obviously...

amanda55
English to Finnish
+ ...
What???????????????? Mar 6, 2010

This really takes the biscuit! Let me warn you about a company whose name I can email to anyone who is intersted, they just hoodwinked me and I lost over $1000 for work done in November. I currently live in Spain although my domicile is in the UK where I have a bank account. I occasionally check it online and the other day I found out they had not paid me. I contacted them and after my second email I got a reply, asking me for the PO, followed by several other emails asking me to provide evidence of the work, the original work request.... the list goes on and on. Now they want to see my translation. I have since found a forum totally dedicated to this company where disappointed translators are complaining that they have not been paid for the work done. Somebody lost as much as $3000 for 3 months' work.

btw, what do you in different countries consider a reasonable rate in USD? I have just completed an urgent job for a Turkish company and am now wondering if I get paid for that either. Any advice on how to check a company out? Time is often tight and I usually don't have enough of it to check anything other than my translation tools.

[Edited at 2010-03-06 16:25 GMT]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mystère et boule de gomme Mar 6, 2010

There is one outsourcer (U.S. based) on here who has been posting several large jobs lately (500,000+) words. They have over 50 positive feedback comments from other translators. Unfortunately, after rounds of e-mails, they finally informed me that the highest rate they pay their translators is 60% lower than the very lowest rate I would ever accept - I would rather get some extra sleep or go see a movie.

After looking at the difficult legal and technical texts, I just cannot see how it is possible for someone to have the necessary knowledge and skills to complete these jobs on time for so little. And if they do have the necessary skills, why they would work for so little and work so much harder?

Meanwhile, I can only shrug my shoulders and go back to doing my other translation work that pays almost three times as much.

[Edited at 2010-03-07 00:33 GMT]

marantz  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question indiscrète: Mar 6, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

There is one outsourcer (U.S. based) on here who has been posting several large jobs lately (500,000+) words. They have over 50 positive feedback comments from other translators. Unfortunately, after rounds of e-mails, they finally informed me that the highest rate they pay their translators is 60% lower than the very lowest rate I would ever accept - I would rather get some extra sleep or go see a movie.

After looking at the difficult legal and technical texts, I just cannot see how it is possible for someone to have the necessary knowledge and skills to complete these jobs on time for so little. And if they do have the necessary skills, why they would work for so little and work so much harder?

Meanwhile, I can only shrug my shoulders and go back to doing my other work that pays almost three times as much.

[Edited at 2010-03-06 16:00 GMT]

What does the other work you mention consist of, if I may ask?? I was already wondering whether it had any meaning at all to continue coping with all the above.

Dawn Montague  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:25
German to English
+ ...
An opportunity to do something positive Mar 6, 2010

There is a new Yahoo group, accompanied by a blog, for translators who want to do something positive to try and reverse this trend. The blog is at http://unitedtranslatorsgroup.blogspot.com/. The Yahoo Group address is http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/unitedtranslators/. After only 2 days, there are already 112 members.

amanda55
English to Finnish
+ ...
Low translation rates Mar 6, 2010

Has anybody noticed this trend: two years ago I was paid 75% more in USD and the deadline was two weeks. Now they offer really low rates and the deadline is always either the same day or the following day. I am thinking of becoming a Care Worker and moving back home to the UK. At least I would earn a decent wage and have happy customers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Example of a job posting with low translation rates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search